[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
fear of work being stolen : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

fear of work being stolen

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: fear of work being stolen

Postby mammamaia » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:15 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:44 am

This is completely understandable and it most definitely not paranoia. It is a very scary possibility. How about try asking a trusted friend or teacher to give you feedback on something as great as a novel. :)
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:00 pm

If you were to e-mail your ms to yourself as a backup (which is what I do), and push came to shove, having Google and Yahoo confirm the contents of that email, including attachment, would not be particularly difficult, not would it be possible to fake (within reason).

But with about a billion people cranking out unpublished manuscripts for Nano this month, I am about as worried about an unfinished unpublished manuscript being stolen and turned into gold by someone else as I am afraid someone is going to steal my garbage can fill of garbage if I leave it on the curb. That's no an aspersion cast on your writing, at all, it's simply an opinion of the value of an unpublished writer's unfinished manuscript, generally.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:29 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:43 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:55 pm

,There is no danger whatsoever of having your work stolen. Before you make a name as a writer, your work literally is not worth stealing. You can't even give it way. No one wants it, and there's really nothing they could do with it, if they had it. I've never met a pro writer who worries about this in any way, and certainly none who even bother to register their work, unless they self-publish it, and then registration is a requirement.

If anyone ever steals your writing, it will be after you're published. Then your writing will be pirated, and may be plagiarized. Until this point, yu have nothing at all to worry about.

The real danger is never that someone will steal your work, it;s that someone else will accuse you of stealing their work. Every copyright lawsuit I've ever seen was because of this. It happens to almost every big name writer at some point, and often to smaller name writers. This is why many, many writers refuse to read manuscripts from new writers. I've encountered a number of writers on forums who swear some big name writer stole their novel, or used their idea. They mail a manuscript to a big name writer, or submit it to the same publisher that writer has, they get rejected, but six months later that publisher releases a novel much like theirs, and the court battle is on.

They never win, but they;re costly pain in the rear.

If you're really worried, and there is zero reason to be, the only solution is to register your work. Registration includes a copy of the story or stories. Forget mailing things to yourself, or anything else. They're meaningless in court, and completely unnecessary. If you really did write something, proving it is easy.

Your worry is simply not having your work stolen. Your worry is being successful, and having someone say you stole their work.

One more good reason to limit how many people read your work before you actually have it published.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:27 am

amen to all that!

all i can add is that 'register' means doing so with the official source, at the loc: www.copyright.gov

or at least register and archive it with wga [the writers union]... but if you're afraid of ending up in court, loc registration is the best way to go...

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:29 am

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs