[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Formatting in email queries : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Formatting in email queries

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
bjamison71
Private E-2

Formatting in email queries

Postby bjamison71 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Okay, I am officially beyond frustrated! Why, when I 'copy and paste' my synopsis, ten pages, three chapters, etc. into the body of my email query,does the font become super-tiny?! It looks fine on the page, but it apparently passes through some sort of shrinking machine out there in cyberspace, because when it reaches its destination, the font is so small it's almost unreadable! Thankfully, I sent a test submission to myself first, but hard as I try I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong! (I saved the files in RTF, thinking that would help, but apparently not...) Any suggestions?

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Formatting in email queries

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Les And
Private E-2

Postby Les And » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Another option if you are a serious writer and want to spend a few nickels and dimes for the application, try a PDF converter by Adobe.. You will find that most agents and/or publishers will accept material in PDF form. Most E-mail programs carry PDF language; however, the receiver my have some problems editing or forwarding the PDF format.

Another suggestion would be to use file attachments.

Les
Your writing must create a full colour movie in your reader's mind.

bjamison71
Private E-2

Postby bjamison71 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Thank you for the advice, gentlemen! (sigh) I just knew that this wasn't going to be an 'easy fix' kind of thing. I did manage to stumble across a tentative solution: Since the font was shrinking from a 12 to about an 8, I upsized it to a 16 in my original document, and the end result was about a 12. It actually looks pretty good, but if my VERY limited tech knowledge serves correctly, there is no guarantee that it will look the same if the recipient opens it using a different program... right? Ugh, I'm going to have to take a class or something!

I've read in the past that agents/editors understand that email formatting is an 'iffy' thing, and that they are willing to overlook issues such as these, but I agree with you, Terry-- presentation counts! I will figure this out, one way or another!

Thanks again! :-)

krodman
Private E-1

Postby krodman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 pm

I had an similar issue when I would "copy" something form Microsoft Word and "Paste" it into my email. I'm not overly amazing with tech, so please bear with me on this. What I did worked for me. I copied it from word, then pasted it in notepad. I think the formatting from Microsoft Word was messing everything up somehow. Like I said I don't know a lot about tech, so I could be way off on that. Anyhow, I copied it from notepad and pasted it in my email. Hope that helps somehow.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 pm

First off don't send an attachment unless an agent wants one. Big no-no. They won't open it. Auto reject if you aren't following their guidelines.

My queries have been all over the place. I have email through AOL so what I've done might not help. I did find if I saved it as rtf in Word, copied and pasted and then went through and made sure I hi-lighted the whole email and clicked the font I wanted and the 12 pt even if it was already that, then they were more consistent at holding the formatting. Before I was losing spacing in paragraphs, parts of my emails were in 10pt and 12pt, it would change fonts even if there was only one before I sent it, and it has been obnoxious.

If you really want consistency then you should just type in your query every time. Seriously, I don't want to do that twenty or more times.

I also think no matter how hard you try, some agents will overlook the goofiness because it happens all the time. I just had a full request yesterday and when I saw what happened with my query- well, it was ridiculous. But it didn't discourage the agent from wanting to see more. So even when I think I have it under control, things go wonky again. And the agent's font in her reply to mine was super tiny like how you described what's happening to yours.

Les And
Private E-2

Postby Les And » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 pm

I have sent in more than a dozen attachments to agents. Mind you, they knew my articles were arriving; which may have helped. As for a manuscript, all you need to do is ask the agent if an attachment is acceptable.

Les
Your writing must create a full colour movie in your reader's mind.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 am

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Just put blank lines between paragraphs. You should be able to have some selection of fonts in your emailer - - you might need to manually re-italicized and center the appropriate bits.

Return to FAQs