Too many POV's?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Blue Ocean
Private E-1

Too many POV's?

Postby Blue Ocean » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:07 pm

How many POV's is too many at the beginning of a book? I have most of my book written from two POV's, but occasionally one or two other characters have some things written from their perspective. However, the way the book is starting, I have four POV's early on. Is this too many?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Too many POV's?

Postby mammamaia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:41 pm

it's only too many if you can't write well enough to pull it off successfully...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:41 pm

I agree with maia. If you can clearly tell the transition from one POV to the next, be it with a section break, chapter break, or clearly smooth within the same section or chapter, then do what you have to do to tell the story. I like it best when an author uses a section break or chapter break when changing POVs. It leaves less for me to figure out.

Blue Ocean
Private E-1

Postby Blue Ocean » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks, guys.
Yes, I'm using scene breaks, and sometimes chapter breaks. In the beginning, it's mostly just to get the feel for a few different characters. One of the side characters has a much larger role in the sequel, so he's got to be a bit more established in book one. Thanks for the info!

Return to FAQs