[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Memoir Topics: Good, Bad, and Never Should Exist : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Memoir Topics: Good, Bad, and Never Should Exist

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
KnightWriter
Private First Class

Memoir Topics: Good, Bad, and Never Should Exist

Postby KnightWriter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Would personal success stories (i.e. weight loss, overcoming self-doubt, handling a death of a relative, etc.) be acceptable for a publishable memoir? Would it be better to summarize it to be the short version or prolong it to be book-length? Or...have these choices been overcooked and beaten in the ground in the hopes of never seeing another one?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Memoir Topics: Good, Bad, and Never Should Exist

Postby mammamaia » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:02 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Ditto what maia says.

Some magazines accept personal essays (short memoirs of a specific time or event), especially if the story is different in content...such as an unheard of weight loss idea that could benefit others.
[imge=3509-3]

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 am

KnightWriter
Private First Class

Postby KnightWriter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I hashed out the same topic with another writer, and he told me (of course I'm going to paraphrase to sound cleaner and acceptable for the forum's standards ;) ) that this business revolves around a lot of people just throwing their cards on the table when they know they have a good hand. I'll admit that I'm a little...scratch that, scared A LOT, that it would be a huge waste of time, energy, and money. Then again, who doesn't feel that way when a rejection launches shrapnel into their face?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:03 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:39 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Return to FAQs