[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Is there a spell checker? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is there a spell checker?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Is there a spell checker?

Postby Lilly Starshine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Is there a spell checker attached to the tool bar? If there is, can anyone tell me how to access it? I am starting to feel like a real moron posting on a "writing" site and mispelling so many words. It seems almost insulting to those of you reading my posts...So, please. Any takers?

pls
Site Admin

Re: Is there a spell checker?

Postby pls » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Macs have built-in spell checkers that underling misspelled words in any post. Don't know if any Windoze machines have the same thing. AFAIK, there's no spell-checker built into phpBB.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Windows doesn't. My girls type a Facebook status in word and then copy and paste it. You could try that. I do it too with words that don't look right.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:40 pm

What browser do you use? The one I usually use has a spell-checker that checks everything I type into forms. Does IE, or Chrome, not do that?
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Lilly Starshine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:36 pm

I have microsoft word. I have to do the cut and paste thing for my postings on my school disscusion board. It is a pain in the rear-end to use sometimes when my 'puter isn't wanting to cooperate. I thought there might be a short-cut. Thanks anyway, everyone. You are very helpful, as always.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:46 pm

My Windows 7 has a spell-checker. It underlines in red all misspelled words. And there is a grammar and spell checker in the documents toolbar. Open "Tools" and it should be the first item listed.
[imge=3509-3]

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:41 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I use google for everything. Well, not google chrome. I mean google toolbar. It has spellchecker for everything on the Internet.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 pm

My previous HP notebook was equipped with a spell checker but my new one isn't, or, if it is, I haven't been able to find it. Luckily, spelling was one of my strengths when I was at school. So was English grammar. Not so with my little grandson who frequently uses my laptop. His spelling is awful and he misses the red and green squiggles. :x

PS: I just went into Word and found "Proofing" and, lo and behold, there was Spell and Grammar Check. I turned it on and typed a document with lots of deliberate errors. It worked. I've got red and green squiggles all over the place. :D
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 pm

You are SO ready for Christmas, Dorothy! :mrgreen:

Next

Return to FAQs