[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
two books not one : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

two books not one

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
nikki_j34
Private E-1

two books not one

Postby nikki_j34 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:19 pm

I have two questions. First I always assumed my book was a YA sci fi novel, it's set it in a futuristic utopia with robots, but also has a small twist of magic. So does this mean it is actually YA fantasy, not sci fi? Also I've split the book in two, making each one 71,000. Is this the right thing to do? I know you shouldn't query an agent with an almost 150,000 word count so that's why I've done it. But I also know agents want a finished manuscript.....it is finished but now it's just in two books.What should I do peps?

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: two books not one

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Can't answer the first part, but as to splitting the book - as a rule I'm not in favor of it. This is mainly because most writers who do this forget that each book should stand on its own. Also, publishers aren't generally interested in contracting for a series from a new writer when they don't know how the first one will do.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

nikki_j34
Private E-1

Postby nikki_j34 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:21 pm

do you think I should try and send it to agents as 80-100 words and just make it one book?

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

nikki_j34
Private E-1

Postby nikki_j34 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm

I always thought YA went on age of characters?

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 pm

YA is usually geared to teens. pls is more of the expert on YA.

Look up "novel word count" on Google. There are some good resources there that break it down by genre and YA. You can get away with higher word counts with sci-fi/ fantasy. But with YA, you still have to keep the word count down. There are a few ways you can approach the series thing. I also suggest do some Google searches on writing a query. You can find loads of information that you need to know to submit to publishers. It is far better for you to do the research so that you have a higher chance of success. By the way, the 71,000 word count is right on target for YA. Not all agents will snub their nose at a series but it needs to be well written and the truth is, chances are lower for a first time writer. But not impossible.

nikki_j34
Private E-1

Postby nikki_j34 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks for the advice, I've been researching, revising, editing and everything in between like crazy for the past few weeks! Hopefully it will all pay off!

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 am

Good luck! :D

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:58 pm

first of all, YA covers a wide age range, so is usually divvied up in two parts, the younger/lower half and the older/upper half...

what makes your book fit the YA market to begin with?...

is the mc under 20?... is s/he under 16?...

it's the lower half of the YA market that generally tends to stay under 50k... the upper half can go to 80 with no trouble and if the plot is enough of a 'crossover' to the adult market, 100k wouldn't be much of a problem, if it's well written...

however, if it takes two books to tell your story, you're not going to be able to sell them... you'll have to distill it down to a single stand alone book in which all the main issues are resolved by the end... keeping it to a word count that fits the age range the writing and plot/characters best...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to FAQs