[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Window-what do you call... : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Window-what do you call...

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Laycrew
Major

Window-what do you call...

Postby Laycrew » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:11 pm

I tired looking it up on Home Depot but it doesn't sound right. What do you call the wooden things in windows that break it up and make it look like the window is made up of a bunch of smaller square panes of glass? Home Depot calls them Grilles. Lattice comes to mind but seem right either.

I used to know what they were called. That's what I get for turning 40. :x aargh.

farmerblue
Private E-1

Re: Window-what do you call...

Postby farmerblue » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Window grills

I know it dose sound strange.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Thank you both! The place I am describing was built in the mid 1800's but I am sure the windows I am trying to describe have been modernized, so grilles will probably be the best way to describe them.

It still sounds weird. :? Now I am thinking how to word it. I don't want it sound like a grilled cheese while trying to say something about grilled windows. Haha! :lol: Don't worry, I won't put it like that. I just need to go find some food.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

The "bars" are muntins when glass is mounted into them (via push points and glazing putty), and grills if the glass is one piece with the grill mounted separate from the panes of glass (usually a grill is used for protection, whereas a lattice is used for decorative purposes more than protection. (Hey, watch "This Old House" for over a decade, and ya learn a lot about house parts!)
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks pls.
I think it made it harder for me to decide. But I think I decided on one. I love "This Old House". Obviously I am not retaining much these days.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Return to FAQs