[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
word count question : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

word count question

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
allz28
Captain

Re: word count question

Postby allz28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 am

Word count should be in the query letter. Period. Omitting it makes you look like an amateur.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 pm

deleted the dupe
Last edited by mammamaia on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:06 pm

what qualifies her as an expert?... a single published book written about her mother's ex-hubby?...

given that and the quality of her own rather florid writing i see on her blog, i wouldn't recommend her to anyone for valid advice re writing queries...

and that's only one... have you no others to back up your point?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:30 pm

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 pm

While doing some research on this subject I ran across one that said to put : Synopsis of "title of novel" then the word count: --- and the genre right on the top left hand side of the page before delving into the actual synopsis. Would that be okay? Or is it better to leave it out completely?

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

the truth of the matter is that there is some latitude in what screeners allow. I've looked at examples of successful queries/synopses, and they vary somewhat. Hooks or not hooks. paragraph saying why you are submitting to that particular agent (and buttering him up) or not. marketing plan or not. brief bio or not. word count or not. giving agent a deadline or not (no way I'd do that), but if it is out to other agents/publishers you can do that. only thing that's de rigeur is contact info, a brief synopsis, and a brief closing paragraph.

in synopses, some believe you should list age of every character, such as: FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT (53).

for both, generally do no put blank lines between paragraphs (indent each), but there might be latitude in submissions made by email.

make the darn thing look professional, and you have a chance.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Max, I think this thread is a good example of why it's so important to know who you're getting advice from. Personally, I usually figure the people who are actually getting published probably know a little bit more about the process than the people who are just starting out. Having said that, I'm not published and you should listen to me at your own peril. :mrgreen:

I always check out the agent's submissions page on their website before I submit. Sometimes they give detailed instructions of what that particular agency wants. I've never found one that's said they didn't want the word count, so I include the (approximate) word count in the query, and I also put it on the cover page of the synopsis and novel. That can either go on the top right corner or under the by-line. My contact info goes on the top left corner. I haven't had any complaints yet.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs