[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do pier review sights count as "published"? (for contests) : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do pier review sights count as "published"? (for contests)

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
hippie_vampire
Private E-1

Do pier review sights count as "published"? (for contests)

Postby hippie_vampire » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:25 am

I was wondering in regards to whether or not something can be submitted to a contest; do pier review sights and personal blogs count as "previously published"? I'm thinking not since it's not an actual publisher and no money changed hands but I just wanted to check before I sent in my $20, ya know?
"There are many things people have claimed can not be true any yet nearly all of them have ether been true to begin with or made true by those stubborn enough to ignore them."

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Re: Do pier review sights count as "published"? (for contest

Postby Elibet1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

I may be wrong, but I believe if anyone can access and read it then it is considered published. If it has been Peer-reviewed online it's considered published. You need to check the competition's rules. If they are not clear send an email to the admin of the comp and ask them.

All the best,
Elizabeth

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:58 am

It depends on how its been peer-reviewed. If it is a members-only passworded site then that is fine and is considered the equivalent of a non-internet critique group. If it is publicly visible, then its been published. A blog would count as published because anyone can read it.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am

Yeah, if it's a 'closed site', it's not considered published (based on the guidelines I've read for various contests/publications). But if anyone can see it, it's published.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:28 pm

i agree with elizabeth... if not sure, you need to be asking the contest folks, not us...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to FAQs