Legality question

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
cdd215
Private E-1

Legality question

Postby cdd215 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking to add a few email screenshots into some stories that I'm writing and I'm wondering what I need to block out of the emails to protect me from any kind of legal trouble. I would obviously block out the persons name and email address and anything relevant to the their identity, but would I run into any kind of trouble by making the content of the message public? Thanks for the help guys!

- Chris

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Legality question

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Unless you have the sender's explicit permission in writing, I would steer a wide berth. The legalities aside, it's considered unethical to display personal correspondence. Most people don't intend their emails to be made public, and their privacy is protected in several states, not to mention publishers who will not include them.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 am

ditto that!

do NOT do it!... aside from the very real and very serious legal issues, would you want your private emails used in someone's book without your permission?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

cdd215
Private E-1

Postby cdd215 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Thank you both for the information. I too was very hesitant in using them as they only added emphasis to the story itself. Points well taken...no emails!

- Chris

Return to FAQs