[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Not sure of genre-Do I have a good beginning : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Not sure of genre-Do I have a good beginning

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
NewWriterRox
Private E-1

Not sure of genre-Do I have a good beginning

Postby NewWriterRox » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm not sure of the genre so I post here. I'm a beginner. Do I have a good start to my novel.

Prologue

The diner was almost closed.

She knew what was to happen. The love of her life would break her heart. He did.

Her brown eyes cried.

He still held her tears even though he was not hers anymore.

"What's her name", she asked.

"What's it matter", he said.

What does it mean? What does it mean?

"What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing. It's just over".

Her head shakes. "You will live to regret this".

"Whatever. I must go now. I'll pay the bill".

She was glad because all her money was spent on balloons.

"Bye", he said leaving.

She cried and cried til no more tears came.

"Miss, we're closed now", said the chef gruffily. "Get out!".

More tears found their way. The man was sorry for yelling. "I'm sorry. I had a rough day".

The sky begins to cry too (that's my favorite part :D :D ). "Great now I have to walk in the rain".

"I will give you a way home after we clean", said chef.

"Thanks but no thanks. The rain will cleanse my pain". She leaves the diner.

She thinks about him. He's probably talking to his new girl right now. She is mad and jealous. How could he do this. He said they would marry after graduation. Just then a lightning striked the ground.

What does it mean!!!! What does it mean!!!!

pls
Site Admin

Re: Not sure of genre-Do I have a good beginning

Postby pls » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:30 am

First, unless you define the ages of your protagonist, the genre is undefined.

Second, unless you stay in past or present tense, the story is untenable.

Third, it's impossible for objects to "begin" actions or motions. Either it's raining or it's not; either a person is still or in motion.

Fourth, "striked" is not a word in the English language.

Fifth, prologues get in the way of the real story. Start with action.

Sixth, choose your genre and read at least 100 examples of it before you attempt to write it.

Good luck!
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 am

seventh, commas go inside the " " for dialog... unless you're british and they do it the way you have it [but i've never seen that in any of the many uk-published novels i've read...

eighth - nth, too many other goofs and glitches to list, sorry to say...

so, no, you do not have a good beginning... and there's no way to tell what genre this might be, from just that bit...

paul... genre doesn't depend on target ages, that would be 'market'... as in YA or adult... genre would be 'romance' or 'thriller' and so on... i'm sure you knew that but were perhaps not fully awake when you responded? ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 am

Tigerlilly79
Private E-1

Postby Tigerlilly79 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm sorry, but there are just too many things wrong with this. I too would like to know, what does it mean? What does it mean?
You have the POWER at any moment to say, "This is NOT the way the story is going to end".

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am

gosh, i hate like heck to have to disagree with you, paul, but that just doesn't make any sense... YA novels come in all genres, so how can a genre have a genre?... better switch to green tea, sweetie... it's supposed to be good for those 'little grey cells'... ;)

hugs, m
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:33 am

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

writesistah
Private E-2

Postby writesistah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Although I read what you wrote at the beginning which stated that this was the beginning of a novel, I thought it was a poem. I couldn't get past the grammatical errors, as mammamaia stated about the comma belong inside a quotation as well as double punctuation. For example, after one sentence, you have both an exclamation period as well as a period. You only need one or the other.

It was a little too obscure for me. Continue to write and improve.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Goodreads lists YA fiction as a genre, but I agree that YA can be divided into a long, evolving list of sub-genres, starting with fiction, non-fiction, and poetry.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Next

Return to FAQs