[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Adding to meet word count : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Adding to meet word count

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Tigerlilly79
Private E-1

Adding to meet word count

Postby Tigerlilly79 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 am

I guess this is more of a statement than a question. I'm writing a YA novel and I feel that it's completed, however it only ended up being 65,000 words when the average is 80,000. Some of the publishers that I looked up publish books that are usually no less than 80,000. I went back through and added more details and descriptions bringing it to 68,000. I'm still a far way off. Now I'm going back to add chapters that I don't feel are needed or necessary, but I don't know what else to do. Has anyone else had this problem?
You have the POWER at any moment to say, "This is NOT the way the story is going to end".

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Adding to meet word count

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 am

i don't know where you got the idea that it has to be close to 80k, when many YA novels are only 40k... is this for the upper age range of YA?... or the younger teens?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Tigerlilly79
Private E-1

Postby Tigerlilly79 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:03 am

I would say 12-16.
You have the POWER at any moment to say, "This is NOT the way the story is going to end".

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:44 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Return to FAQs