[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Have Question about Publishing. Please help! : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Have Question about Publishing. Please help!

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Have Question about Publishing. Please help!

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 pm

the trouble is, paul, that to get a good proofread/edit of a novel will run you a pretty big chunk of cash that has little to no chance of being recouped, despite how well it may have been done... i know this from years of having been sent supposedly submission-ready mss by beginning writers who wanted me to edit them... virtually all of them needed much more than a simple edit for typos and minor grammar or punctuation goofs...

since i started taking on paying clients again, in the past year or so, i've had to turn all but a sparse handful down, because what i'd have to charge for the work involved would be way beyond the writers' means... and the ones i did take on cost the client from $800 to $2,000, just for a technical edit... the first, due to really terrible lack of grammar/punctuation basics by a native english speaker and the second, due to it not being his first language... i regretted charging so little for the first, as the work was so extensive and mind-numbingly repetitive that i should have charged three times that fee...

you can be sure that those who say they'll charge way less won't do a good job... mostly due to not being any good at it...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Mar23
Private E-1

Postby Mar23 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Electronic books accounted for 282.3 million dollars of sales in the first quarter of 2012 (up 28.1 percent from year), according to the Association of American Publishers (AAP). It's the first time that e-book sales account for more than hardcover books, sales of which accounted for $229.6M, (up 2.7 percent from last year) - Yahoo News. Nowadays, eBooks are definitely the easier route to getting a novel published. The only consideration is whether to self publish or use a digital publisher/epublisher. There are pros and cons to both. The biggest consideration is whether or not you are willing to share the royalties.

This article describes the difficulties involved with self publishing. It is well written by an author that has tried it. Someone that does not have publishing or marketing experience should definitely consider using an epublisher if they cannot get their novel picked up by a traditional publisher.
Marketing Expert Willing To Help!

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:59 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Previous

Return to FAQs