[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Dinosaur has tech question for sending clips : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Dinosaur has tech question for sending clips

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
hiremypen
Private E-1

Dinosaur has tech question for sending clips

Postby hiremypen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Old creaky former English teacher and newspaper reporter here in Austin dusting off cobwebs and entering the fray again. I am trying to apply to jobs at freelancewriting.com that ask for me to forward 3 clips. My clips are either( not that recent) newspaper clips or, for example, a short story (inspirational category) which placed in a Writers Digest contest. I am picking up my pen after a ten year interlude due to family stresses so I am behind the curve about online applications.

1. Do I scan my newspaper articles and send in as attached files along with the required resume and cover letter?
2. Is sending attached files with my email okay as long as the source does not specifically state "no attachments accepted"?
3. Does it bother anyone but me when sources ask you to copy and paste into the body of the email and it destroys all the formatting?

Thank you for your input.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Dinosaur has tech question for sending clips

Postby pls » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

editor-anthology
Private E-1

Re: Dinosaur has tech question for sending clips

Postby editor-anthology » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 pm

I hate pasting sample articles into the email. They look horrible.

Sending attachments is rarely a good idea. Unless they specifically say "send attachments," I don't do it. I would recommend that you set up an online portfolio. Once you have more clips you can create a website, but for now try a simple blogger, wordpress or google pages' setup. Just a basic page where you can upload your clips. Then when an editor asks for samples, you can send them the link.
Visit my website at
for information on my new book: "How They Did It: 25 bloggers, authors and writers share all their secrets about earning a living and how you can do it too"

Return to FAQs