[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Chapter length : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Chapter length

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Catwriter
Private E-1

Chapter length

Postby Catwriter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm just wondering what a good length for chapters are. Mine are about three pages.

roda havet
Captain

Re: Chapter length

Postby roda havet » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm not sure if it really matters, with mine my first chapter is around 21 pages. But I think depends on the writer and the content in the chapter. Though I may be wrong, I'm only going on what I've read. I hope this helps. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 pm

No rules. Chapter are as long as they need to be.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:41 pm

3 pages would be very short for an average chapter if it's directed toward adult readers.

Most chapters in adult fiction are between 1,000 and 7,000 words, but there is nothing wrong with occasional chapters longer or shorter.

Catwriter
Private E-1

Postby Catwriter » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:28 am

Thanks. It might not be adult fiction though, I'm still working on the age and audience. :)

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:55 am

My YA fiction chapters run from about 1,500-2,000 words, although occasionally I'll feel the need to write a longer chapter than the average. Adult fiction will tend to run longer.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:13 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:03 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:15 am

ditto that!... if you don't know your target audience, you can't write what they'll want to read...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Catwriter
Private E-1

Postby Catwriter » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Next

Return to FAQs