[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Have a question about using something as a quote. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Have a question about using something as a quote.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

Have a question about using something as a quote.

Postby roda havet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Before I get to the point in my novel where this really matters. I needed to know what are the rules on using a song title or a quote that someone else said for one of your characters to say? Do you need to get permission from that person or not? I need to make sure it is okay to use it because if not I will leave that part out. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: Have a question about using something as a quote.

Postby pls » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Okay thank you. It is more less a title of a song but it is also in the lyrics so I will avoid altogether. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:55 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:27 pm

It want hurt the story at all to leave it out so I am not going to put it in there at all. I may find another way to put what I want to the character say. Thank you.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 am

fyi, roda, song and other titles can be used without obtaining permission, since they're not covered by copyright... it's the lyrics you need to have permission to use... if the title word/phrase also appears in the lyrics, only the title rule applies in re using it as a passing reference...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:07 am

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:28 am

Yeah that's why I'm debating. But I can always go to the official site and send them a message then hope for best but I may just leave it alone. As it will fit better in the next novel I would like to write and may wait until to get permission to use it. I still debating to which is best. Thank you for letting me know about the wait to get permission. :D

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:32 am

Next

Return to FAQs