[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Two Novel Problems : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Two Novel Problems

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
EcoBeauty
Private First Class

Two Novel Problems

Postby EcoBeauty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:41 am

I'm not sure if I should put this here, but there doesn't seem to be a section for questions like these.

So I'm writing a novel, and the protagonist writes the prologue (with an informal writing font style) and then delves into the story like a memoir into the third person. Do you think that method is effective? Should I switch it to first person? I've always had this problem. I've been switching the perspectives for years now and it's starting the frustrate me. I have to know one's wisdom on this. I just feel that the first-person perspective for this character doesn't fit. Third person seems to fit better. But does it make sense?

I also have another problem: Do you think it works if I do flashbacks between every chapter (not within the chapter)? Would you find it annoying? Would it make you forget the plot altogether?

If you want to see what I mean with the perspectives, I have posted the chapters I have so far on my novel called "Heidi" --> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24511

Replies would be appreciated.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Two Novel Problems

Postby mammamaia » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 am

1.what's your reason for switching to third person?... why is your character writing the prologue?... why is it written in an odd way? [is it meant to be a page from a diary, or what?]... and why is he/she telling the story in third, after that?

2.i'd find constant switching in and out of flashbacks a major annoyance... what's your purpose in doing so and what pov/tense is being used for them?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:05 pm

What maia said - and a writer should strive to develop a unique style. Switching around between points of view, fonts, tense, person, etc. is NOT a very effective way to develop style. A novel that constantly switches around is unlikely ever to be selected for publishing (at least in this age).

Try telling the story from one point of view, one person (first or third), one tense, etc., while attempting to get comfortable with your chosen approach. If it simply isn't working, start over again.

I'm more comfortable with third person narrative, for example, and the one novel I wrote in first person allowed for some introspective that can't happen in third person, but I'll probably stay with third person in the future - and all the way through the novel!

Flashbacks aren't necessarily a no-no, but I find long flashbacks do tend to bump the reader away from the main story. Keep 'em short if you use them.

At any rate, you have plenty of time ahead of you to develop your personal style, and I congratulate you for starting now at the tender age of 17. Good luck!
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

EcoBeauty
Private First Class

Postby EcoBeauty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:11 pm

mammamaia: As I said in my first post, the reason for switching to third person is that it seems more effective than it is in first person. In first person, the character has a certain style to her writing, which isn't mine, therefore it's like my writing style isn't going to be noticed.

I'm going to put the flashback into the third person. I understand where you're coming from. I guess it only work for movies and TV shows. Ha, ha. Thanks for your help. :D

pls: I understand and I will take that into account. And, oh, I've been writing novels since I was a pre-teenager but thank you for the congratulations. :D And thank you for your help as well.

Return to FAQs