Fundamental Question:

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
DavidofGaul
Private E-1

Fundamental Question:

Postby DavidofGaul » Wed May 24, 2017 8:55 pm

Greetings:

This question will unmask me as a dunce wholly unfamiliar with publishing and all of its petulant peculiarities.

QUESTION: Does one submit a query letter, to a publisher or an agent, only when one is pitching a book-sized manuscript. In other words, if one is submitting essays, short stories or poetry does one refrain from using a query letter.

About me:

I am an attorney and a writer with only a few things published -- all of the published stuff would be best described as political essays.

I have written one novel, hundreds of poems, and various essays about political, social and aesthetic phenomena.

I hope to learn from other writers, and I hope I can reciprocate in any way I can.

ON THE ORIGIN OF MY USER NAME:

Charles Degaulle or Degual (I don't recall the spelling) ran France from the end of the 50's to about 1970. A lot people thought he was full of himself. During world war two, he of course worked with FDR and Churchill, and I believe FDR said, "He thinks he's Joan of Arc."
A friend of mine once said that he was so egotistical that even his name smacks of undue pride as it literally means Charles of France.
So, in keeping with that delusional style of thought, I decided I'd call myself DavidofGaul

Sincerely,

His sublime and supercilious excellency, David of Gaul
(Just joking around)

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Fundamental Question:

Postby ostarella » Wed May 24, 2017 11:15 pm

For essays, individual poems or short stories, you're looking at journals or literary magazines, so you would need to look at their guidelines (including what times during the year they're accepting submissions) and submit accordingly. From what I've seen, most do not require a query first. If you're looking at a collection of short stories or poems, or longer works of fiction (novelettes, novels), then you would submit a query letter to the agent/publisher, along with whatever else they require in their guidelines. If you're looking at nonfiction, you submit a proposal first (before writing the book).

In all of the above, you need to look at the individual publication/agent/publisher and follow their submission guidelines to the letter.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 25, 2017 9:58 am

/quote="DavidofGaul"]Greetings:

This question will unmask me as a dunce wholly unfamiliar with publishing and all of its petulant peculiarities.

QUESTION: Does one submit a query letter, to a publisher or an agent, only when one is pitching a book-sized manuscript. In other words, if one is submitting essays, short stories or poetry does one refrain from using a query letter.

About me:

I am an attorney and a writer with only a few things published -- all of the published stuff would be best described as political essays.

I have written one novel, hundreds of poems, and various essays about political, social and aesthetic phenomena.

I hope to learn from other writers, and I hope I can reciprocate in any way I can.

ON THE ORIGIN OF MY USER NAME:

Charles Degaulle or Degual (I don't recall the spelling) ran France from the end of the 50's to about 1970. A lot people thought he was full of himself. During world war two, he of course worked with FDR and Churchill, and I believe FDR said, "He thinks he's Joan of Arc."
A friend of mine once said that he was so egotistical that even his name smacks of undue pride as it literally means Charles of France.
So, in keeping with that delusional style of thought, I decided I'd call myself DavidofGaul

Sincerely,

His sublime and supercilious excellency, David of Gaul
(Just joking around)[/quote]

=============

for short material i would not call it a query letter but rather just a cover letter

you need to find out the guidelines each one has for accepting submissions
WM has a good list of them
but verify it is still accurate at their web site as things change and WM is several months old when it gets printed

WM also will help you find potential users of your short stories or poems
check the last 3 years editions as you will find some that are not listed every year

there may be a separate guide for poets and poem submissions
there used to be one for photography and graphics type work product separate from WM

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 am

well when i changed [quote to start the message to /quote
then i could post a reply

but this message appeared for about 30 lines at top of the page

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu May 25, 2017 1:03 pm

That message appeared on my computer this morning when I first logged on and it is still there. I couldn't get into the site yesterday and I assume that message is a left-over from what was wrong with the site yesterday.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu May 25, 2017 1:04 pm

That message appeared on my computer this morning when I first logged on and it is still there. I couldn't get into the site yesterday and I assume that message is a left-over from what was wrong with the site yesterday.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Return to FAQs