What exactly does "Precious" mean?

Frequently asked questions
DrG2

What exactly does "Precious" mean?

Postby DrG2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I've heard agents refer to a writing style as "precious", and based on their comments, it seems to mean some combination of:
self-absorbed - - the author inserting his own personality too much in the narration.
autobiographical - - the story is about something that changed the author's life, turned into fiction.
trying too hard to make the text sound nice/pretty
trying too hard to effect a style

What does it mean to you?

mammamaia

Re: What exactly does "Precious" mean?

Postby mammamaia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:15 am

ditto all of that!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls

Postby pls » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm thinking of the exclamation, "Well, isn't that precious?", that I can just hear an editor exclaiming when presented with a nice story about puppies and kitties. Is that what you mean?

DrG2

Postby DrG2 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:50 pm

pls wrote:I'm thinking of the exclamation, "Well, isn't that precious?", that I can just hear an editor exclaiming when presented with a nice story about puppies and kitties. Is that what you mean?

I don't think so. I'm not really sure. Although I've learned most words by what they seem to mean in context, I'm not 100% sure about an editor's use of "precious".

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:17 am

i am an editor and, while i don't use the word myself, i'm pretty sure what's being referred to is an editor/agent/publisher saying, 'it's too precious' in re writing that is any/all of the things drg listed...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to FAQs