I've started writing... Now what?

Frequently asked questions
LKakis

I've started writing... Now what?

Postby LKakis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm

So, just recently I've decided that I want take writing more seriously. Ive written a few things and in the process of editing them on my own before I think about sending them out to others. I was reading on WD that its important to have a platform, for now I have a tumblr dedicated to some of my work. It's still pretty empty because I started a few days ago, but hopefully over time it will have a stronger following. As far as using Twitter, in attempt to get my name out there, I was wondering if I should separate my personal (I'm 18 and just post stupid nonsense, nothing worth hiding, but nothing that would look professional to an agent or magazine) and make another twitter using my real full name as my platform. I would probably make an email address for the twitter and my writing. Thoughts?

Pen name? Full name?

the-write-thing.tumblr.com is my tumblr for some of my work, but like i said its pretty empty and I'm working on adding to it.

shadowwalker

Re: I've started writing... Now what?

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Platform usually isn't needed for fiction writers - it's more to show that you know what you're talking about when writing nonfiction. Of course, in the self-publishing community for fiction, this seems to be a big thing as well, although I personally don't think there's much to it. As to a new fiction writer with no publishing history, getting one's name out there is pretty useless. You have nothing to show, so no reason for anyone to be interested in you (as a writer).
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

pls

Postby pls » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Adding to shadowalker's good advice …

1. Write a good story.
2. Send it out until it sells.

A so-called platform is useless without something to sell.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:03 am

ditto all of that good advice!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

lorincor

Postby lorincor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:44 pm

All great ideas. 'you may also benefit from joining a local writers group. You can usually find them through your library.

Write right - aspire to inspire!

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:00 am

i'm one who never recommends anyone joining a writer's group, if they are really 'serious' about being a writer and want to become a professional one, eventually...

writing is a solitary pursuit, as it needs to be... and turning it into a social one will usually result in spending time exchanging advice with other beginners [i.e., 'the blind leading the blind'] that would be better spent reading good writing and putting what you learn there to good use in writing practice...

i realize this view is going to be protested by some here, but in my over 3 decades of working with and helping new writers, i have found it to be true...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls

Postby pls » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am

mammamaia wrote:i'm one who never recommends anyone joining a writer's group, if they are really 'serious' about being a writer and want to become a professional one, eventually...

writing is a solitary pursuit, as it needs to be... and turning it into a social one will usually result in spending time exchanging advice with other beginners [i.e., 'the blind leading the blind'] that would be better spent reading good writing and putting what you learn there to good use in writing practice...

i realize this view is going to be protested by some here, but in my over 3 decades of working with and helping new writers, i have found it to be true...

Count me as a protester. Before I joined a writers' group a couple of years ago, I was writing blind. The first group, which includes several published authors, is a serious group, and individual critiques have aided me greatly with my work, both with copyediting and with new perspectives.

The second group, which I started for YA fiction writers, is serious, too. Two of us belong to SCBWI, and we don't invite other writers unless we feel that they, too, will add serious input to our critiques and discussions.

We meet for approximately 2 hours each, once a month, hardly a significant time away from writing, and we are far from being the "blind leading the blind". Both groups discuss effective writings which we have discovered and make recommendations for further study.

I would agree, though, that any group which is only a meet-and-greet-and-drink-and-eat organization is a waste of a writer's time.

lorincor

Postby lorincor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:31 am

The great thing about any writer's group, as this thread will show, is that you receive a wealth of information from writers at many different levels. In our local group we have senior citizens sitting next to high school students and everything in between. Each of us has something valuable to offer, whether it be advice or inspiration. Of course we don't always agree, but that is what makes it interesting.

I learned how to write non-fiction from a man who has over 300 newspaper and magazine articles published. Because of him, I just had my first article published. In return, I challenged him to write fiction and enter a fiction contest. He won! We have self-published and traditionally published authors who are sharing their experiences with the rest. By the way, this high school student read us a poem he wrote which brought tears to our eyes. (It made me want to try my hand at poetry)

So write right - aspire to inspire!

Return to FAQs