lost writers desk

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
lostwriter
Private E-1

lost writers desk

Postby lostwriter » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:53 pm

lostwriter
Private E-1

lost writers desk

Postby lostwriter » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:53 pm

My Writing Room:

I realize I am just a want to be writer. That is to say I only wish I could earn a living as a writer; but at least I have a specific goal in mind. I want to turn my life story into a novel, much like Alex Haley did in Roots. Instead of one thick volume I will write it in multiple thick volumes, much like Star Wars.

I often hear people on television and local radio stations tell about horror stories that took place in their lives. Not to belittle those people or to demean their circumstances but after hearing their stories, I have to sit back and say to myself, I can top that story any day of the week; and many times over. After all my life is one horror story on top of another.

Under normal circumstances I earn my living as a line haul truck driver. Daddy was a truck driver, I learned it from him. I was actually behind the wheel of my first truck before I was old enough to drive. The last three companies’ I drove for closed their doors and vanished into thin air. I have been collecting unemployment for the last several months while working on my writing project. Because of the number of problems in the trucking industry, and the magnitude of those problems, and the negative way in which those problems affect me as a driver; I would much rather be a starving artists than a working driver.

I live alone in this two bedroom town home. I have turned one of the bedrooms into an office slash art studio slash library. Along with my desk, computer, printer/copier/scanner, and its wooden stand; I also have two filling cabinets and two standing lights, one on each end of the desk. I have three bookcases which over the years; I have filled with one hundred sixty books on the subject of creative writing, writing novels, writing fiction, and every subject included in the realm of writing a book and becoming an author. There are plans to purchase one hundred and forty more over the next several years. I buy it, I read it, and then I shelve it.

Over the years I have spent hundreds of hours in public libraries and bookstores reading thousands of magazine articles. Eighty percent of them were on the subject of creative writing, writing fiction, writing novels and being an author. The other twenty percent was on computer generated graphics, computer graphic user applications, and other forms of the visual arts and visual communications.
Along with my collection of books on writing; I also have twenty four books on Windows XP, twenty books on photography to go with my several thousands dollars worth of thirty five millimeter camera and attachments that I never use, and a dozen books on drawing. Ranging from how to draw the human figure; to how to draw the human figure in action; how to draw a skull and facial expressions; shadow and light; and highlighting and shading. I obtained my artistic talent from my mother whom obtained them from her mother. For me being artistically creative runs in the blood. Like writing; it is something I can not stop doing, something inside me drives me into it. My computer plays my favorite music and my high back office chair provides back support as well as neck support so I can spend long hours at my desk doing what I love to do the most; write.

At the age of forty five, I have more than ample subject matter to write about. My problem is stabilizing my life in one place long enough to get the job done. A publisher once offered me a thousand dollars to write my life’s story. I sat down and took a look at what it cost me to live from one day to the next. If I include rent, electricity, cable (because I depend on it for an internet connection), household cleaning supplies, personal hygiene products, groceries, purchase costs and maintenance costs of clothing, and automotive costs, insurance, fuel, parts and labor if necessary, no vacations, no dinning out, and no weekend excursions, the price tag is right around thirty two thousand dollars annually. Somehow or another I don’t think his thousand dollars is going to get my attention. I thank god I have never been married and have no children my cost of living would be twice that amount.

My writing project will probably not become a finished manuscript for decades on in. I am facing having to return to the trucking industry to pay my bills so I can continue living. For some of us life is not about what we want to do as much as it is about what needs to be done. I wish I could earn a living as a writer; it is the only thing I give a damned about.

When it comes to the subject of what works and what don’t; I like mechanical pencils. The 0.5 millimeter lead in them is finer than the lead in a standard number two pencil and I don’t have to sharpen them. I have learned from experience that when it comes to mechanical pencils the cheaper the better. The expensive pencils, like the Bill Blass and the Pierre Cardin’s are not refillable. Even though the instructions that come with them say they are; after dozens of hours trying I became frustrated and throw them out. My cheap pencils I have refilled dozens of times and they seem to last forever without ever letting me down. For me the fatter a pencil is the easier it is to hold. Because of that I buy the pencils with the fat rubber grips at the tip end. They are comfortable to hold as they spend hours in my hands.

When the balance of life is uneven & stress takes over the day, always remember it's a good idea to take time out to play.

Faeth
Private E-1

RE: lost writers desk

Postby Faeth » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:58 am

Ha! Finally, someone that shares my affinity for mechanical pencils! =) When I was younger, I only used to write with .05 or .07 mechanical pencils, and most often used Pilot. As I got older, I discovered gel pens, and really liked the way they write, but didn't like that I wasn't able to easily correct a mistake.

While I still write with gel pens, I have re-discovered mechanical pencils, and have taken to writing with them again. There's just something about a crisp pencil mark... ;)

Elibet
General of the Army

Postby Elibet » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:31 am

Hi Wesley,

Just wanted to let you know that we have a trucker wife/co-pilot in the family here at WD. Riverstone and her hubby Uturn drive a big rig. She is on hiatus at the moment, but should be back soon. There is a thread called: Guess what's on the truck (I think that is what it's called?) over in the: Take it outside board, you might enjoy.

Elizabeth

JohnOBX
Brigadier General

Postby JohnOBX » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi Lostwriter,

You and several others have stories that make me want to kick myself for not getting more done.  I mean, we all struggle (at least everyone in this forum does), but some have to struggle much more than others.  We've got mom's with enough kids to field a basketball team, guys who've got life-destabilizing health issues, and people who've gotten over hurdles that would seem insurmountable.

Glad to have you with us, hope you stick around.  It's a good group here.

--John

lostwriter
Private E-1

---Skydiving:

Postby lostwriter » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:04 pm

About skydiving, I already did. It's part of what uncle sams army paid me to do.

Donni-Jay
Private E-2

Postby Donni-Jay » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:58 pm

Hello Lostwriter,

I read your post and after hearing of your life's horror stories, hoped to hear a smidgeon of some of them, but you did not refer to them again. I am finishing up my autobiography, and although many have lived traumatic lives, they seemed not to have quite the non-stop action, that mine has had. I've lived about three lives in one, and most of it was in escaping from disasters and the bad decisions I made or were forced to make, due to the circumstances I found myself in.

I have my synopsis and four chapters of my book in my website, called; The Conflicts and Struggles of Donni-Jay De-Ville. (That's me). I wonder if we share some of the horrific parts?

If there is anywhere I can read of some of your life, I would like to? I hope all is going well for you now.

I am also a  pen & ink artist, and I see that you draw too. I just love that for relaxing, although I do not seem to find the time for that with all my projects.

i.p.igo
Private E-1

Postby i.p.igo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 pm

Did you write: "My problem is stabilizing my life in one place long enough to get the job done..." or it was me?

my support! Just do not give up
director James Cameroon was track driver as well

Return to Writing Space