Comfort in Writing

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
Cmofield
Corporal

Comfort in Writing

Postby Cmofield » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 am

Cmofield
Corporal

Comfort in Writing

Postby Cmofield » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 am

Oddly enough my favorite and most productive place for me to write is lying on my bed propped up with some pillow underneath me and pounding the keys on my laptop. Door closed, music blaring, I lose all track of time and get lost in my story. Before I know it a couple of hours have passed and I've banged out 3-4000 words and I'm stiff as a board. Good times though.

allz28
Captain

Re: Comfort in Writing

Postby allz28 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:45 am

3-4000 words in a couples of hours--I wish I could do that.

I write best in a hotel room, right after the maid has come and I have fresh sheets and no interruptions for the rest of the night.

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Postby sns3guppy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Bahrain at the moment, trying my hand at the Motivation Station writing prompts. The third Matrix movie is on television, and it's quiet outside. I suppose that Bahrain, like every other stop, might provide motivations and inspirations, but I hate travel, I hate tourism, and have no interest in going out to find them. Imagination, after all, is in the mind, isn't it? Not under an awning outside a mosque, not in a shop, not by the beach.

Sometimes I find that the best time to write is somewhere over the ocean at 35,000', hours from anywhere. Quiet moments are where ever you find them, but then inspiration can be found in the noisiest jets, the most crowded streets of Hong Kong, or the cluttered attic of Anyhouse, USA.

Another pilot I know can't sit still when he comes here. He's a photographer, and manages to find the most imaginative shots among the most ordinary of things. He sees the same world that I do, but it really comes alive when seen through his camera lens.

I don't think it's so much where we write, but how we see what's around us when we do write.

Palisade1218
Private E-1

Postby Palisade1218 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Cmofield, that's exactly how I do it, too. It's the comfort that helps the ideas flow freely. The words almost write themselves. Of course, I also add beer to the mix :)

Cmofield
Corporal

Postby Cmofield » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Palisade- Right on! I've switched from beer to Moscato wine, but I get where you're coming from.

Palisade1218
Private E-1

Postby Palisade1218 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:39 pm

However the alcohol is imbibed. Now I sound like a lush. I need another beer.

DreamingWriterGirl
Sergeant Major of the Army

Location: Stumbling through the dark (WHACK) and I found the coffee table.

Postby DreamingWriterGirl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

I've tried a bunch of different ways to write, and I've found that my preferences change over time. Used to, I loved music playing, now I can't think when a song is playing because I'm singing the song instead of writing.

I prefer quiet, and I think I do my best writing in the wee hours of the night when the house is quiet, but I have to get up early to work, so that's not such a good idea.

I can't write lying down either. Prefer to sit in a good chair (My dad's leather lazy boy is the best one) with my legs curled up in a comfortable position.

kerrymichaelwood
Captain

Postby kerrymichaelwood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:34 pm

I crawl into my expensive recliner chair, and set my mind to what I'm going to write. I then get up to shut off the water boiling in the kettle and let the dog out.

Back aboard the recliner, the telephone rings and I have to go and summon my wife. The dog needs to come back in. Now I'm all set. Downstairs the laundry has run its cycle and is giving me a ring every 5 seconds. Let's go down and take care of that.

Back to it. There's a red number 3 on my mail logo since I was down at the laundry. Better check that out. No biggee. Several bills did not get paid because I left my Visa card in the machine at FedEx/Kinkos. My car insurance has been canceled as well as Comcast. Better phone those folks. . . Ah, my waiting time will be no less than 3 minutes. Will I be willing to take a 5 minute phone survey. NO!

While I'm waiting, let's see if I can get Comcast on the computer. . . Do di di do. . .Oh, I'm not logged in. Let's take care of that. . .They don't recognize either my user name or my Email address. Well, I can go get another one by just hitting this button.

Have to wait a --WHOOPS! dog is running around with my jock strap that she got out of the basket of clean clothes and the cleaning lady is at the front door yelling that she forgot her key. Wife is yelling from garage that she needs help carrying the groceries. There goes the phone. I let it go on the answering machine. Ah, it's my neighbor calling to say that she can't sleep through the noise of my sleep alarm that went off in the bedroom
.Doesn't she like Carmina Burana at 8 AM?

Back in the chair. Dog is chasing the cleaning lady with the vacuum cleaner. No the dog doesn't have the vacuum cleaner, the cleaning lady does. Get your modifiers to stop squinting, knucklehead.

That's it. Time to go do volunteer work at Meals on Wheels. I didn't get much writing done, but I really should rewrite those three chapters I accidentally erased when I keyboarded Comcast.

The screen saver on my computer just clicked off. The electric plug is stuck in the recliner chair. The cleaning lady is asking me if I remembered to buy more Lysol toilet deodorant. I go down to the laundry area to get it off the top shelf. My cleaning lady is only 5'l" and can't reach it.

kerrymichaelwood
Captain

Postby kerrymichaelwood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:37 pm

I crawl into my expensive recliner chair, and set my mind to what I'm going to write. I then get up to shut off the water boiling in the kettle and let the dog out.

Back aboard the recliner, the telephone rings and I have to go and summon my wife. The dog needs to come back in. Now I'm all set. Downstairs the laundry has run its cycle and is giving me a ring every 5 seconds. Let's go down and take care of that.

Back to it. There's a red number 3 on my mail logo since I was down at the laundry. Better check that out. No biggee. Several bills did not get paid because I left my Visa card in the machine at FedEx/Kinkos. My car insurance has been canceled as well as Comcast. Better phone those folks. . . Ah, my waiting time will be no less than 3 minutes. Will I be willing to take a 5 minute phone survey. NO!

While I'm waiting, let's see if I can get Comcast on the computer. . . Do di di do. . .Oh, I'm not logged in. Let's take care of that. . .They don't recognize either my user name or my Email address. Well, I can go get another one by just hitting this button.

Have to wait a --WHOOPS! dog is running around with my jock strap that she got out of the basket of clean clothes and the cleaning lady is at the front door yelling that she forgot her key. Wife is yelling from garage that she needs help carrying the groceries. There goes the phone. I let it go on the answering machine. Ah, it's my neighbor calling to say that she can't sleep through the noise of my sleep alarm that went off in the bedroom. She doesn't like hearing Carmina Burana at 8 AM?

Back in the chair. Dog is chasing the cleaning lady with the vacuum cleaner. No the dog doesn't have the vacuum cleaner, the cleaning lady does. Get your modifiers to stop squinting, knucklehead.

The screen saver on my computer just clicked off. The electric plug is stuck in the recliner chair. The cleaning lady is asking me if I remembered to buy more Lysol toilet deodorant. I go down to the laundry area to get it off the top shelf. My cleaning lady is only 5'l" and can't reach it.

That's it. Time to go do volunteer work at Meals on Wheels. I didn't get much writing done, and I really should rewrite those three chapters I accidentally erased when I keyboarded Comcast. Now where the HELL is that jock strap?

Return to Writing Space