My 'Office'

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
Sarah Jane
General

RE: My 'Office'

Postby Sarah Jane » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:26 pm

I was thinking of getting a Neo, now you've gotten me to decide that I could use one.  I get to distracted with games and the internet anyways.  I swear I've got every game that could be loaded on here, Bespelled, Chuzzle, Zuma, Bejeweled, Bookworm, and Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express.  I'm just a little bit of an addict.

Sarah Jane ;)

MikeH
Private E-1

Re: My 'Office'

Postby MikeH » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:38 pm

Bluebethley,

The Neo gets 700 hours from three AA batteries so recharging or carrying extra power is not a problem. I change my batteries about once a year. Just make sure you put fresh ones in before you go. Besides, you can get AA's anywhere. It holds about 200 single spaced pages and I can see where you might fill that up in six months. It is easy to dump it ot a PC/Laptop but there is no way I know of to dump it to a Flash drive.

Sarah Jane,

The lack of distractions is what I love about the Neo and why I got one in the first place. When I boot up my laptop (and wait, wait, wait) then start up my programs (and wait) the next thing I now I'm sorting out e-mails or playing Minefield. With the Neo, I turn it on, it instantly opens to where I left off and provides no other option but to type.

bluebethley
Private E-1

Postby bluebethley » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Thanks, Mike H, for your helpful comments. The battery life sounds just fine, though I get a little paranoid when I'm on the road about backup copies. I'm using a Dell Computer and transfer my work to jump drives now, save on DVD, and e-mail myself a copy of work in progress. But once I'm truly on the road, I'm not sure how to back up my work. (I'm currently in the revision stage with about 200 pages now and not leaving until Jan 2009).

Online info about the Neo suggests it uses "Beamer, an application for sharing text files wirelessly between other NEOs and devices". Have you used this feature? Does this mean I can transfer files to another computer somehow?

Sorry if this is too much about Neo and not your office space, but I do appreciate your comments. You've talked me into a NEO.

Sarah Jane
General

Postby Sarah Jane » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 am

Sounds like something that I could use a lot.  My computer is really old too.  Taking 15 minutes to boot up and not being able to disconnect the cord for a millisecond before it shuts off gets me frustrated.  I think I'm going to try to get a NEO for christmas.

Sarah Jane :)

MikeH
Private E-1

Postby MikeH » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:39 am

I don't have a beamer on my Neo, I just use the USB connector that comes with it. You plug it in to the Neo and the USB port on any PC. Then you press SEND and the text in the Neo goes into whatever application you have open (e.g. Word). There is also a file manager that comes with the Neo that makes uploading and down loading much faster and easier. That still means you'll need access to a PC but you can use the Neo as your main writing appliance. You don't have to worry about the Neo losing any text; they are very rugged.

Mustang Writer
Major

Postby Mustang Writer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Yeah, my mom recently got a Neo (she's a writer, too!), and she loves it. I think it's really neat how portable it is. Also, the lack of distraction would be great. I always start up my computer to write in my book, but I somehow end up here, in the forum...can't imagine why...isn't that odd... ;)
MW :emoticon:

monkglenn
Private E-1

Postby monkglenn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:48 am

NEO!

I got a NEO! I love it.

Seems so friendly and like a friend or pet almost.

NEO!!

http://forum.writersdigest.com/images/e ... /smile.gif

Previous

Return to Writing Space