Myspace--The place where I write,The place where I get annoyed

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
Radcliffe
Sergeant Major

Postby Radcliffe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:39 am

Radcliffe
Sergeant Major

Postby Radcliffe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:39 am

I set up a myspace account: www.myspace.com/Radcliffezhu
due to the advice from one my mother's students .He said that I needed to input my stories and try to tell others that I write,so that a potential scout would notice me and try to help me get published.I did and myspace did attract a lot of friends to add me.I have comments and I also have some feedbacks.Every week I put on my stories and ask my friends to come to read them by posting comments like "COme to read my stories dude."However, some of the even get annoyed(I dont know whats wrong with my invitation of asking them to read my stories),and said that they have their own books and they dont need my ****ing ,second language rubbishes.(you can read them there on my comments)
I got confused--If i didnt tell others i wrote stories,how could they come and read them??How could they know that I write stories and hope they can read them.They never understand how an ambitious person is chasing her dreams. For her dreams, she can do anything,even it means she has to sacrifice her life.
I have got many many setbacks and blows, yet I still remain tough enough to overcome some difficulties. I love writing ,I love ppl to come to read my stuff,but why do they always want to go against my requests. I have decided to shock them by working harder, to tell them that actually they are wrong
Sincerely hope you can support me...stand by me...always

Elibet
General of the Army

RE: Myspace--The place where I write,The place where I get annoyed

Postby Elibet » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:47 am

Rad,

You've always been supported here. Dump the myspace losers and stay with 'writers' websites. Myspace is just a big social free-for-all. I doubt any talent scout is going to waste their time trying to swim it's murky waters.

Glad you are determined to reach your goals :)

Elizabeth

vade mecum
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby vade mecum » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:38 am

I have never heard of any reputable agents, scouts, or publishers searching the web for new writers--they are too busy reading through the submissions that are sent directly to them to waste time randomly looking for a great story someone might have posted on the internet.

When you post your work on the internet for people to read for free, you are still publishing it, and no matter how good it is you will have trouble finding a legitimate publisher willing to buy it from you. You can't offer them first rights for anything you posted on your site, and usually they pay a lot less for the stories if they can't have first rights. Also, if the story really is good, someone who read it may have copied it and submitted it somewhere as if it was their own--unlikely, but possible. A publisher doesn't want to buy something and find out another magazine or site has the same story already.

If you want to post your stories on myspace for fun, that's up to you. Some people don't care about selling their work, they just want to share their stories with others. There is nothing wrong with that, but since you indicate you want to have a career as a writer I think you would be better off making the stories the best you can and submitting them to an agent or publisher yourself.

Don't let anyone discourage you from trying to reach your goals. Keep working on improving your writing skills, and don't give up your dreams.

Best wishes.

Carol

Radcliffe
Sergeant Major

Postby Radcliffe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:33 pm

One of my friends told me that if I put my stories on myspace, no one really sees that due to the fact that they dont share the same interest .I set up myspace because I wanted to make it easier to promote my stories...Probably giving a link is much more convenient than sending an e-mail with attachment. I didn't realize words can be that harsh.....I will move on! after all...it is very hard to please everyone:)

Fifi Leigh
Private E-1

Postby Fifi Leigh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:51 am

i have a myspace account, and published my first novel on www.lulu.com, a do-it-yourself publishing. now i am marketing it. i have gotten a lot of hits on my lulu website. on myspace, i always ask people to check out my excerpts on my lulu website link. i go into chatrooms and network. also, maybe write some excerpts on your bulletin in myspace. write just enough, but not too much, in order to make them interested to read more. and if they want to read the whole story, they will go to the link or your blog to read it all.

Radcliffe
Sergeant Major

Postby Radcliffe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:49 am

I know that actually...I am looking for the scouts so hard...but there doesnt seem to have any reply..
can you tell me something more about LULU .com?? how much does it cost to have it published??

charmedprincess
Captain

Postby charmedprincess » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Rad, I have read some of your work.  I love your enthusiasm.  Keep at it.  I come to the writer's digest as often as I can.  I have never met a more wonderful group of people/writers. I have a myspace account also, but it's just for fun.  I post stories on my page that I am willing to share for free. 

Fifi Leigh
Private E-1

Postby Fifi Leigh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Lulu.com is free because you do most of the work yourself. they help you. they give you tools to do it. they have book covers you can choose from if you dont want to design your own cover. but you write it, edit it, format it, and sell it. they just print and distribute, and then take 20% from what you sell. you get 80%.
i am a graphic designer and i wanted to draw my own cover anyway. and i dont want any editor messing with my work. i would rather edit it myself. so i felt it is right for me.
Go to their site at www.lulu.com and browse through it. take their tour, an audio video on their website. it takes you step by step in the process of publishing your own novel on lulu.com
check out your options out there, internet or other. browse around, ask around, write letters to others, etc. that is how i am. i like to shop around before i make a final decision to compare my options and find the best fit to my needs.

Radcliffe
Sergeant Major

Postby Radcliffe » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:50 am

Thanks very much for the support! I really feel moved!!

Next

Return to Writing Space