Memories

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
Country Woman
Private E-1

Memories

Postby Country Woman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:39 am

Country Woman
Private E-1

Memories

Postby Country Woman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:39 am

I've been away from this forum for a long time. Busy with my "day job", moved, etc. However, after seeing the sterile writing offices in the new issue I had to post mine. It's filled with memories and objects that keep me creating. The other side of the room has another desk and more "clutter". I love it!

charmedprincess
Captain

RE: Memories

Postby charmedprincess » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:59 am

I love it!  I could visit your space a hundred times, and see something different each time.

I absolutely love the clown drawing.  Who drew it?

Country Woman
Private E-1

Postby Country Woman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:04 am

My granddaughter drew the clown. Beside it is a photo of what I always wanted to do as a child. I loved elephants! Still do. The red drawing is one of me- drawn by one of my kindergarten students. Other drawings are from other grandchildren and students.

JohnOBX
Brigadier General

Postby JohnOBX » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi Mary,

Now that is a writing space that gives you a very warm feeling.  By the presense of the fan, I guess it gets a little too warm sometimes.

:-)

Thanks for sharing. 

--John

Country Woman
Private E-1

Postby Country Woman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:03 am

Here's a secret about my fan- not only is it there for comfort, but I love the sound of it. I've always loved the sound of the wind, water, etc. I can't sleep without the sound of a fan. My son is also addicted! The sound helps me think. At least I like to think that it does...

Cider with Susie
Lieutenant

Postby Cider with Susie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:42 am

I need 'white noise' in the background too. Quite a few people do. Turning on the taps really helps as a calming down mechanism. I sometimes sleep next to my PC because it has a loud buzzing sound. Your space is brilliant Mary. All the colours look fabulous together. I don't think I'd be getting any writing done if I were there though. I'd just gawp at the pretty flowers and picture frames !

Quakerxxoats
Private First Class

Memories

Postby Quakerxxoats » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:49 am

I guess this is more of a blurb, but I plan to use it possibly as an introduction for a longer piece.

Memories
I remember when I was young I used to go out in the yard and play catch with my older brother. I don’t remember what we talked about as we threw the ball back and forth, but I remember that by the time he was about my age, he became “too cool” to play catch with his little sister. Honestly, I can’t say I blame him. At fifteen, I’m sure he had better things to do.
As of now, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to go out in the yard and play catch with my brother again, at least not for a very, very long time. But this memory will live on inside me, even if it will never again become reality. That’s what memories are all about. Living in what we cannot have. What I’m trying to say is that the reason we live in our memories is because part of us thinks that what we had then is better than what we have now.
But is it really? Was I happier as an eight-year-old in the yard playing catch than I am now? I’d like to think not. I would like to think that the quality of my life and my level of happiness has improved since then. I may not have had the stresses of high school, but I also didn’t have the friends and hobbies that I have now.
With those stresses, friends, and hobbies, come new memories for us to look back on years from now in a time of unhappiness, when the past is better than the present. We’re always creating new memories, good and bad, and we’re always looking back on our memories and learning from them. And most of all, remembering them.

cassmick
Sergeant Major

Postby cassmick » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:31 am

Hi there -

This sounds like both the introduction and the conclusion to a piece....The first paragraph, with expansion to include sensory description of those old games of catch (you know - what your brother looked like, the softball or baseball you used and whether the threads were coming out or whether the glove you had was worn, what the air smelled like, what you heard in the background - that kind of stuff) is what feels like the intro. The other paragraphs, with added reference to whatever body you come up with, feel like a conclusion.

Hope this helps.

monkeylauralee
Private First Class

Postby monkeylauralee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 am

Memories

I remember when I was younger,(comma) I used to go out in the yard and play catch with my older brother. I don’t remember what we talked about as we threw the ball back and forth. (period) but I remember that by the time he was about my age, he became “too cool” to play catch with his little sister. Honestly, I can’t say I blame him. At fifteen, I’m sure he had better things to do.
As of now, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to go out in the yard and play catch with my brother again; at least not for a very, very long time. But This memory will live on inside me, even if it will never again become reality. That’s what memories are all about; Living in what we cannot have. What I’m trying to say is that the reason we live in our memories is because part of us thinks that what we had then is better than what we have now.
But is it really? Was I happier as an eight-year-old in the yard playing catch than I am now? I’d like to think not. I would like to think that the quality of my life and my level of happiness has improved since then. I may not have had the stresses of high school, but I also didn’t have the friends and hobbies that I have now.
With those stresses, friends, and hobbies, come new memories for us to look back on years from now in a time of unhappiness, when the past is better than the present. We’re always creating new memories, good and bad, and we’re always looking back on our memories and learning from them. And most of all, remembering them.

I really like this, but I agree that it sounds like the intro and ending. 

~Lauralee

Next

Return to Writing Space