Kara Gebhart Uhl's writing space

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
KGU
Private E-2

Postby KGU » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:27 am

KGU
Private E-2

Postby KGU » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:27 am

For awhile I was working part-time at Writer's Digest and part-time at home, as a freelancer. This was my writing space. (Now that I'm full-time at Writer's Digest, my desk and ribbon board have since been moved downstairs.)

I live in a crooked, 106-year-old house, so the rug (a Pottery Barn outlet purchase) helps my office chair from rolling on its own (still, I often hooked my feet around the desk legs to keep from running into the wall).

The desk is an antique library table I bought while on a shopping trip with mom. However, it's a bit tall so I took off wheels that were on the bottom of the legs, pumped up my office chair as high as it would go and still, I'd often get a chair cushion and sit on that. Note: Always pay great attention to height when buying an office desk.

The ribbon board is a Christmas present from my mom. She made it!

I found the black, metal filing cabinet at a discount office supply store.

The printer stand is part of my parents old office desk. My mom had painted it and used it as a printer stand until she bought a nicer one. I found it in my parents' basement. I think they were happy I took it off their hands.

In order to save on heating expenses, I kept the rest of the house cool and kept my office warm with a small space heater during the winter months. This also encouraged me to work eight-hour days as the rest of the house was too cold to sit in comfortably!

Although you can't see it in the picture, I also have a beautiful, handmade oak cabinet I purchased for barely any money while working as managing editor at Popular Woodworking magazine. (There were many wonderful things about working at Popular Woodworking but being able to buy fine furniture for well below its worth was a definite plus.)

The walls are painted "Cincinnatian Hotel Lindner Blue." I fell in love with the color and then I saw the name. Being from Cincinnati, I had to buy it. (I have a bad habit of picking nail polish colors based on their names, too.)

Kara Gebhart Uhl
managing editor
Writer's Digest magazine

Antique Desk

novembergal
Captain

RE: Kara Gebhart Uhl's writing space

Postby novembergal » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:56 pm

Those 106 year old homes have a habit of being "crooked", and a bit drafty. My home is a few years older than that with the same maladies, in addition to a do-it-yourself renovation (modernization) done by the previous owners, which leaves a lot to be desired. But I still love it.  Also love your ribbon board -- what a neat gift.

charmedprincess
Captain

Postby charmedprincess » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:47 pm

Nice set up, I need to go shopping with you!!!!

KGU
Private E-2

Postby KGU » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:07 am

Thanks! It was rarely this clean. I love an old house for its character but every weekend we're doing something to improve it, whether it's fixing the previous owner's work (I hear you on that one) or doing something else. But it's been a great learning experience and has given us a lot of satisfaction. I once proposed a column to a weekly newspaper on living in an old house. Unfortunately, it wasn't accepted. :)

Kirby
Captain

Postby Kirby » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:43 am

Love the space.  Loads of character.  Please tell your mother she did a great job with the robbon board.

I'm hooked on that HGTV program, "If Walls Could Talk."  Learning about the old homes is a treat.

Thanks for sharing!

JohnOBX
Brigadier General

Postby JohnOBX » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:59 pm

That is very cozy looking, Kara.  I love a high backed chair.  When all else fails you can always lean back and doze off.

--John

KGU
Private E-2

Postby KGU » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:17 am

Thanks, Kirby and John. I quickly discovered the rug also served as a nice place for a nap!

cowriter
Private E-1

Postby cowriter » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:40 pm

Kara-love your space. Great lamp. The 106 year old crooked house is a nice touch :)

i.p.igo
Private E-1

Postby i.p.igo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:11 am

Sophisticated taste, 106 time nicer than many writing spaces I saw...
I just love it.

Next

Return to Writing Space