It all came from a garage sale

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
Christy Johnson
Private E-1

Postby Christy Johnson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:49 am

Christy Johnson
Private E-1

You should have seen my office before I cleaned it up! My space hardly ever looks like this. Usually there are papers EVERYWHERE...because for some reason, I have to be able to touch them and see them. If they are all filed away, like they are in the picture, I don't feel in the grove.

I love decorating and everything in my office either came from a garage sale, thrift store or estate sale. Things are somehow more special to me when no one else saw the value in them. Like my "desk" for example. It was covered with a sheet and .25 cent glasses at a garage sale. All I saw were the legs, but it was love at first sight. I casually asked the owner how much she wanted for the table. "Oh, that thing?!! You can HAVE it when the garage sale is over." It had been sitting outside for so long it was the color of a ten year old fence. But after a little paint and sandpaper, it's just the right shade of shabby chic.

The bookcase was another miracle. I had always envisioned a bookcase to go on top of this table, but finding just the right one when I was in the mood to look was about as lofty as thinking I could do a triple axle the first time I went skating...but it happened! The day I went looking for a bookcase, I found one...for $5!!! It was brown in its former life. But that's why I love spray paint. I bought so much at WalMart one summer, the clerk thought I was getting high.

Oh...and my chair...$7 at an estate sale. I LOVE my chair. More spray paint and a little fabric for the cushion, and ta dah! It's my fav and it spins and reclines too.

My Shabby Office

My $7 Zebra Chair

Christy Johnson
Private E-1

You should have seen my office before I cleaned it up! My space hardly ever looks like this. Usually there are papers EVERYWHERE...because for some reason, I have to be able to touch them and see them. If they are all filed away, like they are in the picture, I don't feel in the grove.

I love decorating and everything in my office either came from a garage sale, thrift store or estate sale. Things are somehow more special to me when no one else saw the value in them. Like my "desk" for example. It was covered with a sheet and .25 cent glasses at a garage sale. All I saw were the legs, but it was love at first sight. I casually asked the owner how much she wanted for the table. "Oh, that thing?!! You can HAVE it when the garage sale is over." It had been sitting outside for so long it was the color of a ten year old fence. But after a little paint and sandpaper, it's just the right shade of shabby chic.

The bookcase was another miracle. I had always envisioned a bookcase to go on top of this table, but finding just the right one when I was in the mood to look was about as lofty as thinking I could do a triple axle the first time I went skating...but it happened! The day I went looking for a bookcase, I found one...for $5!!! It was brown in its former life. But that's why I love spray paint. I bought so much at WalMart one summer, the clerk thought I was getting high.

Oh...and my chair...$7 at an estate sale. I LOVE my chair. More spray paint and a little fabric for the cushion, and ta dah! It's my fav and it spins and reclines too.

My Shabby Office

My $7 Zebra Chair

Susan
General

Re: It all came from a garage sale

Postby Susan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Christy:

Lovely spot!

Susan
General

Postby Susan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Christy:

Lovely spot!

jimdens
Major

RE: It all came from a garage sale

Postby jimdens » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Welcome Christy! You decorate just like I do. I'm a big "junker". You have a beautiful office!

jimdens
Major

RE: It all came from a garage sale

Postby jimdens » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Welcome Christy! You decorate just like I do. I'm a big "junker". You have a beautiful office!

pencilandpaper
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby pencilandpaper » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:44 pm

The zebra cushion is right on!

pencilandpaper
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby pencilandpaper » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:44 pm

The zebra cushion is right on!

Christy Johnson
Private E-1