childhood tr

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
larriharri
Private E-1

childhood tr

Postby larriharri » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:57 am

larriharri
Private E-1

childhood tr

Postby larriharri » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:57 am

I wrote my memoirs - or thought I did tillo I looked at them again - five years later. I found that I did write the highlights but left out an important feature. There were many unhappy incvidents. And I included none of them. Trying to analyse my intent qhile writing I've begun to wonder. Did I not want to put in writing my true feelings or did I not want my children to know? The reality of what went on is always with me. My children are adults now. Should I still be protecting them about the truth of my childhood and not just the happy times.
I am getting ready to rewrite my memoirs and am trying to sort out my emotions :)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: childhood tr

Postby mammamaia » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:02 pm

you should put in it whatever you want to, regardless of how you think others will react...

writing a memoir is more catharsis than a commercial venture, so after it's all down and you've gotten it all out, you can then decide what you may want to take out... but the most important thing for you is to finally let it all out, so you can move forward in your life, unburdened by the baggage you've been dragging along with you all this time...

i've helped many with their memoirs, in the years i've been mentoring writers, in addition to having used my own life's traumas in my writing, so know whereof i speak...

love and hugs, maia

supernerd
Captain

RE: childhood tr

Postby supernerd » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:39 pm

First, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! And second, I agree with mammamaia. No one will read it until you're finished, and I think it is important for you to get it all outside of your mind and body. Whatever happened to you will always be with you, but I've found that writing it down takes a lot of weight off the mind. To me writing is therapy...even if I'm writing about magical creatures...the act is healing.

In writing your memoir the first go round you might not have felt comfortable thinking about it. But it sounds to me that the very absence of these events from your book struck you as incomplete. If you're planning on having it published you might want to talk with your children beforehand and let them know what went on before they see it in print in a bookstore. And if you're not going to submit it for publication, then do what I plan to do with all of my secrets...

Write it down in great detail. Bind it. Put it in a safety deposit box, and let them read it when I'm gone.

Return to Writing Space