Us writers all seem to be animal lovers!

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
Donni-Jay
Private E-2

Postby Donni-Jay » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Donni-Jay
Private E-2

Postby Donni-Jay » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:35 pm

I just wanted to say HELLO, and introduce my tiny showpom, Seva. She mostly sits in my lap as I write, and always listens attentively to everything I read to her. But, the bigger dogs are just as important, and it must be lovely to have them curled at one's feet.

Writing is a lonely, anti-social work, but our pet never minds that as long as we can stroke and feed them every now and then. Luckily, I do not have to take Seva out to do her toilet as she has been trained to a cat's tray with kitchen paper in it. She is only 8 inches high and two and a half lbs in weight. Because of her size, or lack of it, she can curl up comfortably behind me in my chair as I type.

As I have always had a tiny dog, I never felt lonely, even when living alone. I am also quite capable of staying indoors for months at a time, without craving human conversation whilst writing. I am sure this would not be the case without my tiny companion being there always by my side, or sitting on me.

Before owning my precious Seva, I was Mummy to another Pom, (even tinier and also trained to a tray). I called her Ching. She was with me for fourteen years, and I brought her over with me from England when she was thirteen. She only lasted a short while after that. I was so brokenhearted, as Ching was my longest ever relationship. I was so devastated I could not even write, until my husband found me my new baby, (Seva). But, just after her death, I managed to write Ching's story, and posted this tribute to her on a writing site I belonged to. The replies of consolation helped me so very much to cope. Many told me stories of their dog's passing, and although I was upset anew at their sorrow, it made me realise if they could get over the loss, then so would I, eventually.

If you would like to read about Ching, this is the link; Ching The Big Tiny Dog  I would love to hear what you think about the story and if it touched your heart. There is also a picture of her and I am sure you will enjoy hearing all about Ching. If anyone reading this has a story about their pet, please let me know, as I would love to read it.

Thanks,

charmedprincess
Captain

RE: Us writers all seem to be animal lovers!

Postby charmedprincess » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:18 am

Wow sweetie, 2005 was a tough year for you. I hope you never suffer like that again.   

Here is my big fat cat Mama!  She tries to be a lap cat but she is waaaay to big for that. She is about 20 pounds give or take a few ounces. She is on a diet, and she is sooo mad at me.  Here is a picture of her giving me a dirty look, after I fed her that crappy diet food.  She tipped her bowl over then ploped down on the carpet.

Donni-Jay
Private E-2

Postby Donni-Jay » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:42 pm

Thanks for your reply! I don't think any bad time can be as bad as 1974, although I've had some terrible times. I was married to an alcoholic, black belt akido, very good looking, horrid violent man. It caused me the loss of my four year old daughter and my newborn baby. But, long story, written in my autobiography. But, it is amazing how emotional pain hurts physically, in whichever bad situation one finds themselves. We all suffer, but when it's personal and at that time, it feels unbearable no matter what has been previously suffered. Strange that!

Your cat Mama is a real character! Naughty think turing her bowl over! Did you give in and give her some tasty food after that? It never fails to amaze me that creatures can love us so much. I think humans are very priveledged to be thought of so highly. Lol!

Lovely to hear from you, maybe again some time?

Bset wishes,

Pagadan
Private E-1

Postby Pagadan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:41 pm

Seva is really sweet--and tiny! I don't think I've ever seen a Pom that small. My dogs have always been bigger--usually German Shepherds, though Xena is an Australian Shepherd/Boxer cross. (I went to the SPCA to get a German Shepherd cross. Look! A German Shepherd cross! The slip said Shepherd/Boxer. It took a while to dawn on me --she was a little puppy--why she didn't look anything like a German Shepherd; The eye--half blue and half brown was a clue, but I didn't see that until after we'd bonded.)

JohnOBX
Brigadier General

Postby JohnOBX » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Good Lord it looks like big Mama swallowed one of those poor Poms!  Donni are all your furballs accounted for? 

Cute pup you have there.  Losing one it tough, as anyone knows who has gone through it.  But you are right about them being good writing companions.

--John

Donni-Jay
Private E-2

Postby Donni-Jay » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:16 pm

Joy, I believe Seva is the smallest Pom, as we have gone out of our way to look at any we thought were tiny, but none were as small as her.Apart from my other tiny Pom, Ching! Hard to believe she was smaller! I still have her, as after her death I had her freeze dried. I just could not part with the tiny body that I had loved so much. Could not bear to part with Ching even at her death. I wrote about it in depth in my story. (the link I gave above)

I have had many small dogs, as I needed them for baby replacements in a way. I wanted to be able to have to 'mother' them in the way larger dogs do not need. Or, maybe they do, but are too big for, like being carried in bags with the mesh side, and taken in hotels and all the places not usually allowed for animals. I literally liked to have my 'baby' everywhere I went.

I do love large dogs too though, and had a Standard Poodle once who I also trimmed in the lion cut, as I did Ching and Seva. The standard Poodle called Max, was huge and a great guard dog, but his bark gave him away when he was supposed to be quiet. Also, he was so stubborn when it came to him wanting to play with other dogs, who he scared nearly to death some of the times. He was on a lead, but that never held him back when he wanted to go make friends!

Your dog Xena sounds very sweet. I like German Shepherd's, they have wonderful facial shapes with such intelligent eyes. You say the eye, was half blue and half brown. Did you mean just one eye was the two colours, or one eye was a different colour? And why should you have known your dog was a crossed Boxer due to this? I didn't know that was any kind of sign of cross breeding.

Donni-Jay

Donni-Jay
Private E-2

Postby Donni-Jay » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:21 pm

John you never told me about your dog? I bet he is gorgeous too. Yes, they are marvellous writing comapanions and anytime ones too. Just love em! Love all animals though!

And Mama probably could have swallowed furballs, but she was not far off this size too!

This is a picture of Seva sitting in one of her places, but on my desk this time.

Return to Writing Space