Which software do you use for writing?

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Which software do you use for writing?

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon May 30, 2016 3:05 pm

MS Word for me, although I have tried Scrivener and can see the value of it.

For a barebones text editor, I prefer Textpad or Sublime Text slightly more than Notepad++ (not so much for writing, but I am a computer programmer in my day job, so I use text editors every day). I have even been known on occasion to use the UNIX "vi" program to stealthily write novel chapters at work, because it makes prose look the same as computer code. 8-)
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

LawrenceGP
Private E-1

Postby LawrenceGP » Mon May 30, 2016 5:03 pm

MS Word, there's no reason to use anything else for all the main work.
Though to the side I use notepad to write down anything else like characters, places, special events. Just things to remind me that they exist and I do not forget them.

Aside from that I also try to create the worlds in my mind. If I'm stuck in writing I try to imagine the places where my characters live. I just open up photoshop and start drawing a bit.
Ended up making an entire city by doing that ^-^

glynisj
Private E-1

Postby glynisj » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:26 am

I'm using yWriter 6. It's the poor man's version of Scrivener. It doesn't have as many bells, whistles, or adjustments as Scrivener but it works the same way. And it's free.

JaneJane
Private E-1

Postby JaneJane » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 am

I'm using Bibisco but thinking about going for Scrivener.
“Read. Read. Read. Just don't read one type of book. Read different books by various authors so that you develop different style.”
Working at online rephraser.

Gertegan
Private E-1

Postby Gertegan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 am

Apache Open Office. It's compatible with Word and free. And I'm cheap. I've played around with Scrivener, but when it comes to mapping and notes, nothing works better for me than a notepad and pen.

Lbeauchesne
Private E-2

Postby Lbeauchesne » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 pm

I use Scrivener. It suits my rather chaotic style of writing. Rather than having numerous files open containing ideas, I can keep every idea I get on a single topic in a single file and have it make some semblance of sense.
Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

Previous

Return to Writing Space