My Writing Space/Needs/Rules

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
Airborne

Re: My Writing Space/Needs/Rules

Postby Airborne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm

My best writing is usually done when there is nothing else I could do. Not at home, in other words, where there are always thousands of things to do. The most productive is a place where there is nothing else waiting for me but boredom - such as for example an airport. I have done some of my best writing waiting for a flight at the airport.

Good thing I have a lot of flights to catch for my work :)

seliz

Postby seliz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm so glad people understand needing to have a certain space and atmosphere to work! My fiance did not understand this and thought it would be fantastic to take apart (destroy) my laptop, and move around all of our desktops. I deal with having to work with a TV monitor as a computer monitor because I want to write, but I make sure to send him dirty looks every once in awhile for throwing off my vibe ;)

Despite how picky I am about my "work space", I'm perfectly fine taking a small notebook with me everywhere and jotting ideas and paragraphs as I go. I'll be anywhere from the doctors office, work, out to eat...no big deal. But ask me to sit down and type out my work? It has to be done in my little work space.

Laycrew

Postby Laycrew » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm

I have had to get over needing a space to write. I have a busy house with 4 kids still at home and 3 dogs, cat and of course hubby.

I used to like to shut myself away in my room but I was grumpy when the kids would interrupt me and I needed to still be accessible. I am THE mom. So now I sit with my laptop roaming around the house. Today I am on the living room sofa with the dogs sitting beside me barking intermittenly when anyone comes in the house. The TV is on with football blaring in the family room because my husband has no hearing in one ear and one of the kids is singing in the kitchen.

Tomorrow when everyone is gone, I will probably be on the recliner in the family room with Pandora on so the dogs on my lap will jump off less to bark at any little sound outside.

Needless to say, since I have started this new routine of roaming around the house while everyone carries on around me, I have been more productive than ever with my writing.
https://twitter.com/Laycrew
https://www.facebook.com/authorKimberlyLay

Published in: Mental Ward: Echoes of the Past Anthology

James Lacey

Postby James Lacey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm

I guess I'm a bit old school. No computers on the first draft. I need a notebook and pen (I think I type too fast for my own good). I need something on in the background that I can force myself to tune out, be it music, television or a busy location. And every time I pick up the pen, I have to put it down before I finish a section/paragraph/chapter or sometimes even a sentence. This way I always have something to finish when I come back. Doing that helps me get the creative juices flowing when I sit down to write again.
"I need a really good quote to put here."
http://www.jameslacey.net

elphanine

Postby elphanine » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:23 pm

I honestly do not know why, but I can't write on a computer. I need to have a pen in my hand and a journal. Most likely some classical music as well. I can't listen to anything with words because I will most likely start singing along, even if it is an Italian opera. As for my spot, usually I huddle up under the covers of my bed at midnight and write. Remembering the old saying, "Write drunk, edit sober," I do just that except with sleep. I find it works out fairly well.

Zachariah

Postby Zachariah » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Whatever space I'm in, I just have to be able to smoke without bothering anyone. A nice pipe or clove cigar is just the thing to get me going.

exiledcrusader

Postby exiledcrusader » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 am

I am almost exactly opposite your view on writing spaces :lol: . I write everywhere and anywhere. One day I might be on a park bench the next in my living room. As for sound I sometime have the TV, or music, or even silence it all depend upon the day. Being in a structured environment all the time causes me to have severe writers block.

gbtreasures

Postby gbtreasures » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:33 pm

The only rules I use, are the ones that work for me at that moment. So far, my writing space consists of the little corner in the living room where my laptop is perched upon my little laptop desk. If music helps, it goes on. If I am having trouble concentrating, it goes off. I concentrate better in complete silence. If I'm on a roll, music helps to guide my thoughts. I find that life gets in the way of my writing.

matthewweigelt

Postby matthewweigelt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Having been a reporter for years, I can find nearly anywhere as a good place for writing. My wife watches TV and there I am. My boys are climbing on the playground at Chick-fil-a and there I am. The Big Mac at McDonald's stares at me and there I am. What saves me is the smartphone and Evernote. Evernote organizes me, and the smartphone allows me to write as soon the creative starts to flow.

matthewweigelt

Postby matthewweigelt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Having been a reporter for years, I can find nearly anywhere as a good place for writing. My wife watches TV and there I am. My boys are climbing on the playground at Chick-fil-a and there I am. The Big Mac at McDonald's stares at me and there I am. What saves me is the smartphone and Evernote. Evernote organizes me, and the smartphone allows me to write as soon the creative starts to flow.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Space