[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
50 Shades of [what do you think?] : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

50 Shades of [what do you think?]

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: 50 Shades of [what do you think?]

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:42 pm

I have no desire to read the books or see the movie. I did talk to a few women that were sucked into it and couldn't stop reading the books.

I'm probably mentioning info you already know. But 50 Shades started out as Twilight fan fiction. The two main characters were changed when she decided to do more with it than have it out on a fan fiction site. Then it totally took off once she self-published and the frenzy went on from there with her getting a book deal and so on. So perhaps those people that were teens during the Twilight craze are the adults that want a more adult story so it naturally carried over. Or it has the essence of whatever it was people were drawn to with Twilight but with far, far more playtime. Whatever it is, the success of this whole 50 Shades thing really baffles me. I have never seen a couple of actors look so uncomfortable being interviewed about their movie.

believein
Private E-1

Postby believein » Wed May 06, 2015 1:43 am

I saw the movie just because I want to know what's it all about and it turned out to be a complete waste of my time. Just saying ;)

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:00 pm

deleted

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:22 pm

What I know so far, more than half of the book is about how and where characters are busy with their erotic affairs.

This video clearly speaks my cynical attitude to it. :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFCDMufbYWo
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:17 pm

From what I understand it's a pilfering and poorly-done repackaging of 'The Story of O.' (the classic BDSM tale written by Pauline Reage).

Erotica is a very repetitive genre and the few milestones in it are all from long ago when sexuality was still fresh. What is astounding about the success of this modern rehash is what it says about the mental shallowness of millions of today's readers.

And I also think it's extremely disturbing in the negative message it sends about respect towards women. Jack, don't tell me that we have made any progress in modern society with regard to women--compared to either the Victorians or the nineteen-fifties--when this kind of schlock becomes a multi-million dollar bestseller.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!