[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What I hate about AARP : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What I hate about AARP

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
wdarcy
Major

What I hate about AARP

Postby wdarcy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:16 pm

....is that they send out renewal notices 6 months before your membership is due to expire.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: What I hate about AARP

Postby robjvargas » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:15 pm

They are not alone.

I think I got a WD subscription expiration "warning" right after I got my first issue.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Yeah, WD does it too. I hate it.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:18 am

I think this is a good thing. If they wait until the last minute, I'm never prepared, and may have to spend money I didn't plan on spending at the time. I like having six months to renew anything. I suspect most people do, or so many subscription services wouldn't do it this way.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:50 pm

I don't like it at all, and I've quit ordering magazines because they all kept pulling that crap. They'll just keep sending renewal notices even though your subscription is paid up for several years, so if you don't keep track of when your subscription really runs out, you can end up paying years in advance. This bothers me because a lot of elderly people see a renewal notice and think they need to pay it or lose their membership or subscription. It feels like trickery when they bill that way.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:30 pm

I agree, Updog. This happened to my mother years ago. The companies are doing it for their own cash flow reasons, not for any convenience to their subscribers. I understand a renewal notice one month before expiration, or at most two. But six months in advance? No way. Yes, it's trickery.

--warren

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:57 pm

I fail to see any trickery at all, in any way. The companies gain nothing by this, and subscribers lose nothing. Eitehr you're going to renew your subscription, or you aren't. If you aren't, then don't. If you are, then you;re out teh same amount of money either way.

Seriously, they;re tricking you into doing something you were going to do anyway, or tricking you into sending money you weren't going to spend? This makes no sense at all.

I know exactly why they send out subscription notices six months in advance. It's because every bit of marketing, including focus groups, say this is the best way to do it. Most people appreciate it, there's no lapse in a magazine subscription or membership, as is often the case when you wait until that last month, and and a forgetful mind doesn't mean you blew it.

Three months is the absolute minimum you can wait, with many magazine subscriptions, if you want to guarantee no missed issues.

I really don't see the problem here. You lose nothing , not a single penny, or a single second, by being notified six months in advance.

And I know most old folks are both smarter and more appreciative than this. Wait until the last month to notify them, and they'll probably ream you a new one.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:26 am

I am not comfortable with six months reminders, either. I lose track of when my subscriptions are really due. If I pay now at the six-month point, am I paid up for one year or eighteen months? If everyone paid everything six months ahead, they would lose six months bank interest, interest that businesses would be collecting on their money. In today's electronic age, 60-90 days should allow plenty of time for processing.
[imge=3509-3]

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:07 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!