[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Ferguson : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Ferguson

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Ferguson

Postby mammamaia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:16 pm

[mods: if sharing this is not allowed as a 'take it outside!' issue, let me know and i'll withdraw it... love and hugs, maia]

Missouri Breaks

by maïa

As plain as the nose on your face,
in the space between love and hate
stands race.

So cut and dried, as clear as day,
in the US of A, lots of folks
have no say.

As certain as death and taxes,
bias waxes whenever justice
relaxes.

And beyond the shadow of a doubt,
without equality for all, we’ve
struck out.

That old elephant in the room,
some presuming they’re more worthy
seal our doom.

As clear-cut as wrong and right,
to ignite hatred of others,
take delight
in their pain for personal gain,
is the ultimate human blight…
it’s right there, in black and white!

[for more uncomfortable truths: “In Medusa’s Mirror” www.saysmom.com ]
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Re: Ferguson

Postby atwhatcost » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:03 pm

It was black and white -- a matter of law and law enforcement. Then it became a thing of special rights.

After listening to our President, and then the Mayor of Philadelphia, (I'm a Philadelphian), if I could afford it, I'd leave America. We've become a nation of anarchists rule, because if law-abiding people speak up, the mob will destroy their property. I am ashamed of being an American.

I don't know why cops don't quit in mass now. When the people who are supposed to support them -- the politicians -- support the thug instead... I'm ashamed of being American.
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:37 pm

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:45 pm

When the Mayor of Philadelphia says "it's a travesty of justice" (what the grand jury decided), when the President says "There is inevitably going to be some negative reaction, and it will make for good TV," and the media incites the riots, yes, I'm ashamed of being an American.

The idiots were told to do it, and sure enough, like idiots do, they did it.

When the news is more interested in the reaction than the story, (they didn't even let the DA tell what happened, before cutting out to the reaction), I'm ashamed.

When an honest cop is facing federal charges, because the state came up with "the wrong verdict," I'm ashamed.

If someone wants to riot over cops, let them riot over the bad ones. If they want to riot over travesties of justice, what about that boy being killed for playing with a toy gun? He was innocent. Brown was a thug. If they want to riot over the death of African Americans, let it take place where they should riot -- Chicago.

We stopped being a republic long ago. We stopped being a Democracy in my lifetime. Mob rules. The minority within minorities rule. I'm ashamed.
Lynn

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:21 am

Whatever really happened in Ferguson has been buried by the plethora of media reports and mis-reports and opinion.

My position is that I was not there. I did not see what happened. Therefore, I have no opinion - even if I were to read the grand jury's complete report.

Commenting on the issues via poetry as maia has done is another matter, and she's done it well.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:26 pm

thanks for the kind words, paul... hugs, m
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:31 am

Lynn

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 am

I appreciate your poem Maia.

I won't comment on Ferguson - I'm in the we weren't there so we don't know camp- but having grown up as a minority (despite being born in New York), and having being singled out for it throughout my life, I do think there is still room and a need for open dialogue. I may be simple minded but I often think just sitting down for some good food together, on a regular basis, would build all the bridges we'd need.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:40 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!