[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Anyone Know How to End Automated Telemarketing Calls? : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Anyone Know How to End Automated Telemarketing Calls?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
glassartisan
Private E-1

Re: Anyone Know How to End Automated Telemarketing Calls?

Postby glassartisan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm

i will now tell you the one and only way to stop telemarketing.... forever. this is a sure-fire solution that will, unfortunately, never come about.

it's classic operant psychology aka b. f. skinner. the only way to extinguish any behavior is to give it no further reinforcement. in telemarketing, this means that if people stopped buying from telemarketers, telemarketing would soon disappear altogether. it remains the bane of our modern day world because telemarketers get "intermittent reinforcement", that is, enough people do buy from them to keep them motivated to continue annoying people that way. intermittent reinforcement is the same operation that keeps people sitting at a slot machine... it pays off just often enough to motivate the player to remain.

if no one bought a single item or service from telemarketers for 2 years, do you think they'd keep doing it? some might persist that long, but all would abandon that avenue once they determine that no further sales would be made that way.

can we get the whole world to cooperate in this? of course not. but just like we "do our part" by recycling or not littering, i say we all start doing our part in this, too.

FIRST - make a commitment to never again buy from a telemarketer. if their call reminds you of a product or service you've been meaning to look into, look into it elsewhere. after researching other options for buying this product or service, you can even decide to buy from the company that called you to begin with, just so you do not purchase from the telemarketer.

SECOND - if its an automated call, just hang up. those, too, would disappear after the telemarketing companies get the message that no further sale would be forthcoming that way. and if it's a real person, ask to be put on their no-calls list because YOU WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY GOODS OR SERVICES FROM A TELEMARKETER.

IT WOULD WORK. IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN. I DO MY PART ANYWAY.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:11 pm

The same philosophy should work on Westboro Baptist Church, glassartisan. But it won't either, as the Phelps clan will continue their practices until they all die off. So will the telemarketers and spammers.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:25 pm

I have never understood why anyone would buy from a telemarketer. But then I also can't understand why anyone would click on a spam link. :roll:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:00 pm

We solved the problem by turning off the ringer on our landline. Sure, the calls still come in and leave CIDs, but the callers rarely leave messages. If anyone important calls, they will always leave a messages, and we'll get back to them. Fortunately this problem hasn't yet hit our cell phones.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:10 pm

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Paul, I'm sure you've heard the saying: "there's a special place in Hell reserved for Alexander Graham Bell."

We never answer our landline any more. I answer my cell only if I recognize the caller or number, and then only if I want to talk to him or her. Imho, the telephone is the greatest invasion of privacy ever invented.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:34 am

What irks me even more are charities that hound you if you've donated once. Once they hound me they won't get another penny out of me.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:41 am

bdukes2962
Private E-1

Postby bdukes2962 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Makes me wonder. Every time I get a telemarketer call, I block the number. Does that technique work? I noticed for the past two days, I've been getting automated telemarketing calls from a certain program ----- it says something like "are you serious about earning four figures every day?" Those are the first few lines and I blocked the first number yesterday and got the same call today from another state and obviously, another number. If tomorrow I get the same call, then it probably does not work right?

One thing that I know works is telling the agent as calmly and politely as I can to take me off their call list. I try not to be rude to telemarketers because I used to work in the customer service industry and would really have a bad day when customers are mean or rude to me.

One funny thing is when you want to get a call from a certain service, you never get it. For example, I've been thinking of getting our carpet cleaned and I keep telling myself to just wait because I used to receive calls from carpet services. So far, after 2 weeks of waiting, I have not received a call or one time my dad said that he is waiting to get a call from bosly, you know the hair place, - he got a call from them one time after he registered online - and he never did get a call when he was anticipating one and has a question prepared. The telemarketing business is sometimes funny.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!