[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Anyone Know How to End Automated Telemarketing Calls? : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Anyone Know How to End Automated Telemarketing Calls?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
atwhatcost
Sergeant

Anyone Know How to End Automated Telemarketing Calls?

Postby atwhatcost » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:00 pm

The Do Not Call Registry is a joke. It's not like there's a real person calling to talk to. I heard if you never pick up the phone, the number is recycled. If you pick up the call, they accept that as interest. If you let the answering machine get it, there are 5-10 calls by the end of the day, all making no sense, since it's the last half of a recorded message. Also, that's considered interest, so they call you back. Lying to them, cursing at them, simply asking to be removed, putting down the phone and letting the spiel go on until it ends, playing stupid, even trying lewd doesn't work. (I did get flustered when I had this long time to imagine a lewd spiel for the guy, and it ended up being a gal. :oops: ) Nothing works.

Anyone know a good way to stop them from calling back? First, I figured lots of creative people on this site. Second, after getting hung up on when I asked the women (after being "the 20th person in the queue," and, for crying out loud, they called me, I didn't call them, but I waited) to take me off their list, I got another call two hours later. Arghhh! Most of the IDs on my phone are state names, "Unavailable," "Private Number," and good ole "Csmr Srvs," the worst of the worst. :evil:
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Anyone Know How to End Automated Telemarketing Calls?

Postby robjvargas » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Figure out what they're trying to sell you and submit through the DoNotCall site.

Do Not Call does have some exceptions, so make sure you're aware of those.

I refuse to give my phone number or email to any business just because they ask. I just say no. It flummoxes the cashier or the customer service rep, because they expect you ask questions. But they can't make you give your private information.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:31 pm

The worst thing you can do is to pick up the phone. That registers your number as "in service" and therefore available to each and every telemarketer on the planet. Of course, if you don't have caller ID, you're screwed, although I've been converting all my regular callers over to my cell phone. Now I ignore all calls that come in over the regular phone.

The DNC registry works - for legit businesses. It's the illegal telemarketers who ignore it.

Here's what I did - about 10 years ago I invested $50 in a little device from callmenot.com (It's not made any more, but there are other devices on the market). It intercepts all calls and forces the caller to press a number to ring through (not likely). My device also has a one-ring option that intercepts the call - as well as whatever other numbers the robo-caller is dialing at the same time - and sends a not-in-service tone down the line. Voila - no one gets the call, and all the numbers are now "not in service".
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:51 pm

I read a book about this very subject last summer (hilarious). The writer was so upset, she tracked down her caller and sold him prime property in the Everglades (Croco infested swamp, of course :lol:), and somehow he got his fingers nipped off by a crab, and sewn back on to the wrong digits by a surgeon. Totally crazy book, but she did deal effectively with the problem. :D

Mostly I don't answer the phone, but a problem with that is that my folks in England have numbers that read out as "Unavailable" on caller ID. I just ask them all to leave a message when they call and I call them back. That works.
[imge=3509-3]

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:58 pm

I don't answer my house phone when I don't know the number. My hubby will sometimes and then they start calling again. But since we typically don't answer the house phone, it seldom rings anymore. Anyone I want to hear from calls my cell.

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:59 pm

It sounds like my main problem is I'm still stuck in the 20th century. We have a landline. I changed that once, but found out that's not a good idea. My dad is also set in the 20th century and has dementia, so he couldn't deal with our new phone number. (He gets telemarketers too, so if the ID isn't set on his phone as one of his kids' name, (oh, and his "kids" range from 26 to 60 years old, so none of us are kids anymore), despite having an answering machine, he picks up the phone and hangs up. :? There's no way he's going to figure out how to push one more button for the 1, and, being his daughter, I can't say I have any idea how to handle phones with no attacked answering machines.

I need a course titled 21st century 101. :lol:
Lynn

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I get a lot of telemarketer calls, but I never receive automated calls, except during election season. Never. I answer pretty much every call that comes in, and I can't remember ever getting an automated call, other than the ones trying to get me to vote for someone.

If you don't know a number, just don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a voice message.

Chances are, though, that if you receive a lot of calls, you've either unknowingly given permission, or your number isn't on the no call list. It's incredibly easy to give permission without knowing you did so, if you spend a lot of time bouncing around the internet. Permission can even be built into the install of a program.

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Unfortunately, among the unknown number ("Private Caller") are my doctors. For some reason they just don't like patients knowing who they are when they return calls. And, if you miss their calls, even if they left messages, it becomes a game of phone tag that can last for weeks. (Returning a single call sometimes takes them a week.)

And, nope. I don't even give out my e-mail to strange sites. I have a junk e-mail account, if I want to go on a site I don't know, (which doesn't happen too often.) And, whenever a site wants my phone number, I give them the phone number of a taxi cab company that forgot to pick me up when they promised. (I used to give 555-555-5555, until sites got smart enough to know that's not a real number. :lol: ) I figure, if I'm e-mailing or working online, if you want me, e-mail me like I e-mailed you. As for my address, I don't even give my right address to our voter site. I don't want SEs to know my address, so I pick neighbors' addresses or give the nearby park for an address.
Lynn

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 pm

I never pick-up calls from unknown or private numbers. And if I do accidentally answer a sales-call I immediately hang-up; but not before taking a note of the number so I won't make that same mistake again. And I agree the Do Not Call service leaves a lot to be desired .

Next

Return to Take it Outside!