[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
importance of proofreading : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

importance of proofreading

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
robertodette
Private E-1

Re: importance of proofreading

Postby robertodette » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:22 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Or maybe edit the picture before posting so only the relevant part shows up regardless of screen or browser.

Anyway...
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:40 pm

That is ironic. We all make mistakes, and I'm famous for submitting stories that contain the phrase "doe snot", rather than the correct "does not".

But I can't convince myself that typos are ever acceptable, and when one makes it into print, it's almost always my fault. If I don't catch it before submission, and if the editor misses it, I'm really good at catching it when I get the last look.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:03 am

The quickest and most effective way for me to find typos is by reading out loud. Rarely fails me (though my keyboard's sticky keys do their darndest to win :roll: )
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:49 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:39 am

123count
Private E-1

Postby 123count » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:46 am

It's understandable that we make mistakes in writing
and proofreading makes it look more perfect.
But sometimes, we don't realize that mistake until we are told.
It's when we try to do better.
After all, we are after the result or output.
That is why proofreading is important.

MatthewTM
Corporal

Postby MatthewTM » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm

I edit and proofread other people's content. I don't do my own final proof if I have a choice (however I do kick myself if they find anything). It's so easy to miss stuff when you know what you're reading so it's always good to get another pair of eyes on it. A typo can, of course, slip through as a secondary error in the proofing process!
Last edited by MatthewTM on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:58 pm

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:24 am

Since 2008 I have been working on my grandmother's story. I'll bet I tore it apart ten times and at 103,423 words that's not funny, McGee!! I believe I have finally edited it down to where I want it and am now proofing it. I'm reading (silently aloud for the second time) for content and then going over that paragraph for punctuation, which seems to be my biggest downfall. So don't tell me about editing and proof reading it is one tough bird to manage, but in the end I'm sure will pay off big time. Any takers to do a final proof. I'll bet you'll still find punctuation errors. Tee Hee and GRRR :o
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!