[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Computer issues... : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Computer issues...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
kentsmith9
Private E-2

Re: Computer issues...

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:38 pm

I am in that industry and I am probably just old school, but I try not to save anything valuable in the cloud for fear of someone doing a poor job of keeping it secure enough for my data. I have locks and alarms and safes in my home which I control, but given enough time and enough incentive, hackers will break through computer security.

I just back up my data to local secondary drives that I control.

I'm sure I am being paranoid, but I hear only the paranoid survive. ;)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:29 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:32 pm

I don't back up to the Cloud simply because I don't trust it. I do trust my handful of RAM drives, one of which resides in my safety deposit box at all times, and a couple of large external hard drives.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

kentsmith9
Private E-2

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 am

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:25 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:01 am

i don't trust flash drives at all. The decay can take a decade, or happen pretty darned quick, under the right circumstances. I've seen ten flash drives go bad for every hard drive. I simply stopped using them, except for transporting something that's definitely saved in a more secure spot.

There's good evidence that a quality DVD, properly stored, will last a minimum of fifty years, and probably a heck of a lot longer. DVD technology has come a long way in the last few years, and saving to a pair of DVDs, and storing them properly, seems to guarantee the data will be safe, barring fire or theft. I have no doubt that technology will come up with something far more trustworthy and permanent long before my DVDs die, but I don't trust the permanence of flash drives at all. Even when the memory holds, the blasted things are just too fragile.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:10 am

I've had one RAM drive (USB stick to some of you) go bad in the past 10 years. As for my backup practices, I write directly to a RAM drive and back it up immediately to the hard drive on my laptop. Periodically I back up to a second and third RAM drive (one of which goes to my safety deposit box), and I do have older data backed up to CD's. I also back up entire computer hard drives to an external drive which doesn't see much use and therefore wear out or fall victim to "stiction". I learned my lesson a number of years ago when an almost-new hard drive failed in my main computer, and it cost well into four figures for a data recovery service to restore most, but not all, of the data on the defective hard drive (I never again bought another HD from the company in question, btw.). That will never happen again.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:07 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:22 pm

kentsmith9
Private E-2