[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Computer issues... : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Computer issues...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
elle33
Private First Class

Computer issues...

Postby elle33 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Anyone know of a good file recovery software? My old laptop crashed a couple of months ago and in its failure, I lost some data I'd really like to have back. I have a replacement now and have been transferring files over today.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying pandora recovery, but it's not finding what I need.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Computer issues...

Postby mammamaia » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:47 am

i don't know how you can recover anything you hadn't backed up before the crash, but to make sure it doesn't happen again, i recommend getting norton 360...

i've gone through the agony of losing files in operating systems crashes in the past and finally found what works best to save me from having to suffer that fate again... i have norton 360 as my security system and it includes a backup feature that will work automatically whenever you're away from the computer for a while, or can be activated manually with a click of the mouse... everything is saved online, so it can be easily retrieved...

the last time i had a systems crash [from a transformer blowout down the road], my norton backup system replaced all my documents and other files it had backed up to that point... so i only lost a few edits i'd done after the last backup and before the transformer blew...

i've since purchased more storage space [only cost a few bucks], so everything other than operating systems can be quickly downloaded... and i now have a backup disk of my os from dell, so i'm as well covered as anyone can be, i think...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:14 am

Mac or PC?

Any of the "recovery" software will work, although your best bet might be to boot the laptop from your CD and see if you can access the hard drive. If so, you should be able to repair the system software that is keeping your laptop from booting and then back up your data to an external hard drive (or, if just documents, to a RAM drive). If not, then you'll have to remove the hard drive and send it to a recovery company, which will cost you well into four figures. (I know that from sad experience.)
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:37 am

Recovering files depends on why the computer crashed. If the hard drive is still good you can just slave it to another hard drive and transfer everything over. Or just transfer documents, etc. If it was the hard drive itself that crashed, you'll probably need an expert who has both the right hardware and software.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:35 pm

It's a PC. It started crashing and giving me the "blue screen of death" a lot. It will boot, but it takes a long time.

All documents were backed up, what I'm really kicking myself about is all my pictures. I've lost a minimum of two years of pictures and I'm heartbroken.

I use the free version of avast anit-virus. It actually works really well and is the only reason I was able to get it to boot after the first crash. It's an old lap top that I've had a love-hate relationship with for the last couple of years, I was due for an upgrade anyway.

I talked to a friend in IT yesterday and she suggested I use GetDataBack software. She's used it before and says it works well. It runs around $80.

I honestly don't know why it crashed. I know just enough to be dangerous with computers.

G Robert
Private E-1

Postby G Robert » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:02 pm

One thing that has worked for me is to use like an Ubuntu disk (The live type) and hover over your disk. This can pull your files out and then you can save to an external. I have done this a bunch of times and was always successful. (Except for once, when the drive was too frozen to spin)

kentsmith9
Private E-2

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:49 pm

elle33,

If the crash was from Windows itself, your data is still there, but the file mapping information may not be.

Some crashes like this can be resolved with a simple "undelete" program where it manually finds files still on the HDD, but not allocated to a "Windows" file entry (it thinks it is available space to be reused).

If the problem was more physical with the HDD, it is usually unlikely that you would ever be able to read any part of the HDD, so you are still in the good chance of recovery stage.

If the data is absolutely critical/priceless, I would go straight to the data recovery companies before you potentially have no ability to access the data. I have worked with all of these below, but note it may be expensive

On one occasion I had data I wanted for convenience, but the physical failure of the HDD was in the worst case scenario. I decided not to pay the cost and chose to do surgery on the HDD. I actually took it apart and swapped the platters from the bad drive to a new good one. I was told it would not work and having been in the computer storage business I did not think I would succeed. But it turns out the drive actually functioned well enough to get my one file off it before it literally crashed.

The second time this came up, I tried it again for a different failed drive, but it did not get me anything. :(

I tell you this to convince you NOT to try it, but that is what the companies above can do for you in the proper clean room environment (not in my den at home).

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:50 am

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:44 pm

After you are back and running do an internet search on Dropbox and sign up. You will have to install on your machine. This creates a Dropbox folder. It gives you 2GB of space, which is plenty for your writing folder. Assuming that you have windows and a folder called something like writing folder, right click this folder and click on move to Dropbox. This now syncs (as long as there is internet connectivity) your writing folder with the same folder in the magical cloud of data storage.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Or....send me your email in a PM and I'll send you an invite. It appears I get more free space that way. :D

Next

Return to Take it Outside!