[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
One of my hobbies... : Take it Outside! • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

One of my hobbies...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
MookyMcD
Captain

Re: One of my hobbies...

Postby MookyMcD » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Our soil must be the opposite. I needed 2 tbsp. of lavender years and years ago for a recipe, and noticed the lavender plants outside the store were $1.50, and the bag of lavender in the herbs section of the produce department was about twice that, so I bought a plant and stripped the poor thing to its stem. I stuck the stem in the ground and it grew into a mammoth plant (I'd bet the stalk was 3" thick by the time I moved from that house). It always cracked me up that the reason that huge, beautiful lavender plant was in front of my house was just because the 4" pots were cheaper than the cut herbs.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 pm

The "soil" kills a lot of stuff here, too, Elle. :mrgreen:

I plant my lavender from seed, since it's cheaper that way and I love starting my own plants from seed anyway. Better than bringing bugs or diseases in from the garden center. But it's fairly easy to start new plants from cuttings, like Mooky did. This year I planted around 40 new lavender plants in what used to be a vegetable garden. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all the lavender, but I've always wanted to try this, and I have way too much garden space, so why not? (I can't believe I'm saying that I have too much space. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought it was possible.) If the rabbits don't eat the plants down to nubs this winter, it should be beautiful next year, and for many years to come. I don't eat it, and I certainly don't smoke it (or the Russian sage) but I have bundles of lavender strung up on hooks all over the house. They're kind of a pain to dust around, but they smell so good.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 pm

@Mooky - Yeah, our soil here is very compact and rocky, clay like in spots. I have thought of putting beds in other places in the yard, but my hubby groans about mowing around them, so I try to keep it to a minimum. I think lavender requires airy/sandy soil.

@updog - I put out two nice plants last summer, one died over the winter and the other is about half the size it was last year, but it's still hanging on. I love the way it smells too, but my favorite scent of all flowers is hyacinth. I need more of those, because I can actually grow them! :)

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:08 pm

I have several out-of-town friends who do things like spinning, raising vegetables, and scrap-booking. I applaud them.

Me, I don't have the opportunity for such quaint pursuits. No one in my city does, really. Life in NYC is so fast-paced (the daily commuting takes so much out of your schedule) that leisure time is very rare. Everybody has at least a 1 hour train commute to get to work. So that's 2 hours out of every day, 'frozen' right there.

When I do have down-time, I certainly use it for writing. The most inexpensive and most rewarding hobby, for sure. Materials: pencil, paper, imagination.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!