[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
One of my hobbies... : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

One of my hobbies...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Re: One of my hobbies...

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Maia, you do like to keep busy. I'm right there with you when it comes to jigsaw puzzles. I love them but I don't get a chance to do them. I don't have a place to build them because I don't have a table. I live simply and find having one unnecessary. I could put one together on my desk but I have a cat. The desk is his domain and puzzle pieces are toys to him.

His name is Silly. He lives up to it. This isn't the most flattering picture of him but I just woke him up.

Acrostic puzzles are fun. I like logic problems, too. When I buy those big puzzle books with all different kinds of puzzles, I will do every one of them except crossword puzzles. For some reason, I'm not worth a fig at them.

I can get all kinds of free yarn due to all the seniors I know. I wish I could send you some. Let me work on it.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:45 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:03 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:56 pm

That sure looks like a money maker to me. Great work.

I don't really do much that I think of as a hobby. I am a shooter. I shoot handguns, and rifles, and shotguns actively, but I take this even more seriously than I do my writing. I love running off into the deepest wilderness I can find, and staying there for two or three or four weeks by myself, but I don't know that this counts as a hobby.

I read, of course. I read a lot, and have since I was three, but is that a hobby?

I'm a food junkie. I love good food, and my wife and I spend a lot of time going to new restaurants, or trying new recipes. This sounds like a hobby, I guess.

I don't know. I take everything I do seriously, so I'm not sure whether I have no hobbies at all, or whether everything I do is a hobby?

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:28 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 am

i don't consider what i do as 'exercise' or relief from hours of computering as being 'hobbies' either... they're just 'things i do when i'm not working'...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:18 pm

My top hobby has to be cooking. I realized that yesterday when I made a fifteen pound turkey just for me. I carved it into fifteen individual serving sizes, wrapped them in plastic wrap, then tinfoil, and put them in the freezer for use when I need them. I also put everything that was left into fourteen liters of water with only a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper. I simmered it down to six liters of hearty turkey stock. I refrigerated it overnight, skimmed off the hardened fat, and froze in two cup serving sizes for when I need a flavorful stock.

I also turned a ten pound bag of potatoes into roasted garlic mashed potatoes, leaving them quite stiff by not adding enough milk. Then I used an ice cream scoop to dollop them onto a cookie sheet to freeze. Once frozen, you put them in freezer bags. For fresh mashed potatoes without the mess or time, you take out as many frozen scoops as you want, add milk, and a little butter, and cook on medium with the lid on, stirring occasionally, until they're heated. (Or you could microwave them.)

It's gotta be a hobby when you think about cooking with that much planning and detail.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks, James. We also like to shoot. Target shooting is extremely relaxing to me! (and I'm a pretty darn good shot to boot.) ;)

I like to tell people stole my husbands heart at gun point. He was out shooting with his buddies one afternoon. I'd finished inside, grabbed a rifle and slung it over my shoulder. I walked out to where they were and they asked me what I thought I was going to do. I asked them to set up the cans....I took out five of six.

We had horses for a while, but I like things to stop when I want them to, so we switched to motorcycles. I like to garden, when time allows, which is why I only grow flowers now. The last few years I've put a vegetable garden out, he ends up deployed somewhere, so I gave up. I've canned a little, but only water-bath canning. Pressure cookers scare me, after all the years as a kid being told to stay out of the kitchen in case the pot exploded. They were probably just trying to keep me from being underfoot, but they scarred me for life. :D

Maia, I've probably got some yarn around here you could have too. Let me know when you're out and I can send some your way. I'm a compulsive yarn shopper and buy whenever it's on sale, people also give me yarn. I think I have more than I could ever use at this point. I only crochet or knit when the weather is cold.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 am

That's really beautiful, elle! After my grandmother passed away, I assumed possession of all her photo albums with the understanding that I'd scan the pictures for my cousins. That was two years ago...I still have the albums and no scanned pics. Boo! I, for one, would love to hand them off to someone who enjoys scrapbook activities.

For the past couple years my hobby has been wine. I don't mean drinking it, though there's that, too, in moderation. I mean studying oenology.

A couple weekends ago I dragged my kids and husband to a local vineyard to participate in the pinot and muscat harvests. This weekend we're going back to harvest the red varietals. I love it!

It has, for a long time, been my dream to own a vineyard. Now I'm hoping one of my kids catches the bug and pursues viticulture.

I'm getting ready to fire up a wine and writing blog called Decanted Ink. :)
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!