[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
One of my hobbies... : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

One of my hobbies...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
elle33
Private First Class

One of my hobbies...

Postby elle33 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:49 pm

A few weeks back I made a collage in photoshop for one of my best friends. It was her father's 86th birthday.

There were photos from decades back, his baby pictures and hers to current day. I had so much fun doing it. Then I took it to work and printed it on a large format printer and put it on a nice backboard. It really turned out nice.

She sent me a message today that said he's still raving about it and has made all the neighbors come over to look at it. It warms my heart to do things for people who appreciate it!

This is one of my many interests. What are yours?

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Re: One of my hobbies...

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 pm

That really is beautiful. I can see how that would be incredibly overwhelming and special to him. Well done, you.

Hobbies. I've done them all. They never stuck for one reason or another, even if I enjoyed them. I've been around senior citizens all my life and let them teach me everything from playing pool, fly fishing, knitting, crocheting, quilting, cooking, etc., I've learned how to do all of these things at least half a dozen times each, sometimes by the same person who couldn't remember teaching me how to do it once before.

I would list my hobbies as reading, cooking, hiking, and camping. Cooking would be a big one for me and about the only thing I might have pictures of. At my last job, I made a Victorian Cheesecake for everyone. It was Lemon and Blueberry with a Roasted Pecan Trim and a Gingersnap Crust. (With a lemon curd drizzle on top.)

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:50 am

Thank you, Cowboy. :) They told me to construct it so that it would be easy to transport and toss when finished with it. He's got it on an easel in the foyer of their home. :)
I have (had) lots of hobbies too, none have stuck like crochet though. My grandmother taught me when I was seven or eight and I never stopped. I taught myself to knit a few years ago, but it's discouraging to me since I don't do it as quickly as crochet. I love gardening flowers & vegetables too, but that takes more time than I have these days.

The cake looks delicious! I love cooking, but I'm not very good at it. I have a few favorite recipes, some fairly difficult, that I've mastered. But ask me to grill chicken, and I'll screw it up in a heartbeat. :D My husband is one of those people that can dig through the cabinet and make something out of nothing, it seems. He's a great cook.

Do you still have that recipe? :)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:00 am

elle...

have you given any thought to making this a business?... clients can scan and send you their family photos and even photos of objects they'd like to have included in the collage and you can tailor the design to fit the subject... such as with a border that indicates a sport or business or favorite whatever of the subject, adding design elements among the photos for some 'relief' and so on... can even make the arrangement form a relevant object, such as is done with jigsaw puzzle collages...

i think this could be a good money-maker as well as making people happy... all it would take is a website and a bit of social network touting... if you're interested in the idea and need any help, i'm only a mouse click away and would love to help you find a good name for the business and get it off the ground...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Maia, what are your hobbies?

Elle, thanks. First, I have to agree with Maia. She's right. You could turn that into a business.

I needed to come up with a recipe really quickly so I made this one up myself. (I'm like your husband that way. My friends keep trying to get me to audition for a TV show called Chopped.) I'm sure I could recreate it. And I'm positive anyone could make it. I've taught so many people to cook that I'm used to uncomplicating recipes. Give me a little time and I'll write it out. Today, I'm making chicken pot pies so good they'll bring Jesus back early. I don't claim to be the best at anything, but my chicken pot pies are world class. I'll post a picture here later.

I have to admit, I enjoyed crocheting and quilting when I did them. For me, it was more about the sense of community though. Getting together with folks to work together and fellowship and share a meal afterwards. I miss that.
I was very tempted to get back into crocheting when I heard about arigurumi though! Have you heard of it? Call me corny but these things are too cute and I really want one. I just don't want to take the time and expense to learn how to do it. I'd rather pay someone to make one or two projects for me. Below are some impressive arigurumi projects.

Click here. You have to. http://craftyiscool.blogspot.com/p/gallery.html (Any takers? I want one of me with Winnie the Pooh.)

Typical arigurumi projects are like these...

~ Cowboy

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:15 pm

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:25 pm

I love chicken pot pies, unfortunately, my family isn't real crazy about them. :) I look forward to seeing your pic!

I have seen amigurumi, they are really cute. My grandmother and aunt used to make stuff like that when I was a little girl. I haven't really tried anything like that. I tend to stick with more practical things, we like to stay warm. :)

I love that picture of Cary Grant. He was great.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Movies from the 40's and 50's. My favorite. When Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn died, so did Hollywood.

Well, I just finished making pot pies for everyone. (I cook for several of the elderly that live alone in my building. This way I know they're eating more than ravioli out of a can. We all eat together so nobody is lonely. Believe me, I get far more out of it than they do! The things I learn and all the story ideas I get... phenomenal!

Here are the pot pies. I don't use pie crusts (or even a bottom crust) because it's just too heavy and too much. I love using a puff pastry lid instead because it's light. It helps make eating pot pies in the summer a lot easier! This one is made with chicken thighs, bacon, quartered mushrooms, fresh broccoli, corn and a richly flavored homemade chicken stock that I make. I even had enough puff pastry (not homemade) left over to make strawberry turnovers. YUM!

Can you tell I'm a foodie? LOVE to cook and talk about cooking. Sorry about that.

~ Cowboy

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:39 pm

No problem, Cowboy, they look delicious! ;)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 am

cowboy...

what i do in my 'down time' away from the computer:

1,000 pc jigsaw puzzles, to rest my brain, since it's a strictly visual activity that i don't have to think up words for...

ny times sunday crosswords and the toughest acrostics i can find in book form, as my writer's 'brain exercise'...

crocheting [when i can find cheap yarn], making hats, purses, shawls and lap blankets to give away free to the needy/elderly and to anyone in need who can benefit from seling them...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Next

Return to Take it Outside!