[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Letter to an Unknown Soldier : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Letter to an Unknown Soldier

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Unknown-Soldier
Private E-1

Letter to an Unknown Soldier

Postby Unknown-Soldier » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:49 am

Hi everybody,

I am writing to tell everyone about a project that I am working with: Letter to an Unknown Soldier.

In a year jammed-full of WW1 commemoration our project invites everyone to step back from the public ceremonies and take a few private moments to think. For us, it is important to move on from cenotaphs, poppies, and the familiar imagery we associate with the war memorials.

If you could say what you want to say about that war, with all we’ve learned since 1914, with all your own experience of life and death to hand, what would you say?

The 'Unknown Soldier' is a statue that stands in Paddington Station; he stands as a reminder of what was lost, and won, in WW1- and at what cost?

If you, or anyone you know, would be interested in reading some of our letters- or writing your own- please visit our site.

I'd also love to speak with everyone here. What do you think of the project? Are there any letters that really resonate with you? Any that inspire? Any that you disagree with?

I'll link to our site, and a couple letters that we have received. I'll include my own- I figure it's only fair to to share my own if I ask you to share!

To read some letters:
http://www.1418now.o...etter/new-read/

Sean Spain (My own): http://www.1418now.o...ter/sean-spain/
Nathan Filer: http://www.1418now.o...r/nathan-filer/
Stephen Fry: http://www.1418now.o...er/stephen-fry/

To submit your own for publication:

http://www.1418now.org.uk/letter/new/
So please get involved.

I'd love to have this thread as a space to talk about your own ideas for letters, to talk about letters you have read and generally as a space in which to think about the Unknown Soldier.

I hope we can get some interesting discussions going.

Sean Spain
Editorial Moderator for 'Letter to an Unknown Soldier'.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Letter to an Unknown Soldier

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:33 am

are these letters only going to be displayed on a website, or are you preparing a book ms featuring the submitted letters?

and are you paying for work that you'll be publishing?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Unknown-Soldier
Private E-1

Postby Unknown-Soldier » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:35 pm

sounds like an interesting, heartfelt project...

as i'm an anti-war/anti-violence activist, i can't see myself taking part, but thank you for the invitation...

love and hugs, maia
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Best wishes to you and your project, and thank you for your service.

I'll pass this along, as I have a large family, steeped in military service experience.

Edited: I just realized this appears to be UK based, are you looking for American perspective?
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

Unknown-Soldier
Private E-1

Postby Unknown-Soldier » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:16 am

Unknown-Soldier
Private E-1

Postby Unknown-Soldier » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:23 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 am

i'm a big fan of fry's work and admire his courage in being an objector in the first place and for baring his soul and shame in public with that letter... but, while i applaud him for not wavering in knowing he was right, i'm truly sorry to see he feels any shame in re having stood firm in his convictions...

thanks for that link!

Mike1950
Private E-1

Postby Mike1950 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 pm

null

Return to Take it Outside!