[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Happy Independence Day! : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Happy Independence Day!

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Gooblink
Major General

Happy Independence Day!

Postby Gooblink » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm

We just got back from our neighborhood annual 4th of July celebration. I love people - meeting anew, reconnecting with old acquaintances, eavesdropping on small group discussions. Jolly people make me happy, and this is before I hit the wine. :)

The writer's life is known for its loneliness, and sometimes it can be overwhelming. Being out in the sun, chatting, laughing, and watching the kids play is good for the soul.

I hope y'all find folks you enjoy with whom to celebrate this great country and our freedom.

Be safe! And, speaking of freedom, when did Sparklers become illegal? That's just not right!
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

Laycrew
Major

Re: Happy Independence Day!

Postby Laycrew » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Happy Independence Day to you and everyone. :D

We don't have that kind of neighborhood party and it sounds like a lot of fun. Sparklers aren't banned here though. We can sparkler up all we want to. Lots of fireworks will be going off all night around my house. I'll be here trying to help the dogs cope while everyone goes to fireworks. That's the way I like it actually. I don't enjoy fireworks as much as the rest of the family. I like them much better far away.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 am

Our dogs get pretty agitated by thunder and fireworks, as well. We ended up staying in tonight and playing Monopoly. :)
Peace,
Cindy

cindy@gooblink.com
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 am

Gee Cindy, I haven't played Monopoly in years and years, sounds like fun. We stayed in also and watched the program from the Capitol in Washington DC. This seems to be the way we have celebrated the 4th for the last several years. It is such a great program and the fireworks after are spectacular, not to mention the great music. I love all the marches at the end when the fireworks begin and I don't have to listen to all the noise. Glad everyone had a safe 4th.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:11 am

We always end up going to the next town for fireworks (ours saves their budget for the annual Ag Days in August :roll: ). For miles you can see folks parking along the country roads, dust billowing as they drive past, headlights in your eyes, and then the sounds of people having mini-tailgate parties while waiting for the show to start. It's a necessity to bring bug spray, of course, and jackets on all but the hottest years. From the hill we park on, we can see the fireworks from various farms (esp since they made many fireworks legal again), and kids running in the corn fields and along the ditches, going after fireflies or playing impromptu games of tag. Then the real show starts, and it's the prerequisite ooh's and ah's, and horns honking for particularly spectacular explosions. We can also see some of the displays from a couple of the other small towns, off in the distance. Then the grand finale, and everybody clambers back into their vehicles and the caravan begins, some going east, some going west, and vehicles peeling off here and there to head home. Takes about 3 hours total for a 30 minute show, but we enjoy the tradition and family time anyway.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Mazy
Private First Class

Postby Mazy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:15 pm

I stayed home, indoors. The night was too chilly and the fireworks that can be seen from the street are beautiful, but my neighbors wern't out and i didn't want to be out there alone. My neighborhood has changed a lot since marijuana became legal in Colorado.

The main reason for this post is, Shadowwalker, I had a good time watching your watch, and story. Thank you. My Iowa farm self loves every inch of what you wrote, and my lonely little self adores you for putting it there.
[color=#4000FF]“Four thousand volumes of metaphysics
will not teach us what the soul is.” Voltaire
[/color

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:08 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:04 pm

I agree too. Shadowwalker that was one of the most beautifully written description of a night out for fireworks that I ever read. I pictured every step of the night. Thanks.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 pm

For years we would drive from Texas to Upper Michigan via I-35, and be on the road on the fourth of July. It was really something to drive through those Midwestern states with nothing but corn for miles and to see fireworks exploding in all directions. I always wondered about those towns and the people celebrating. Shadowwalker gave a perfect little glimpse into the scene beyond the interstate. :)
Peace,
Cindy

cindy@gooblink.com
-----

Return to Take it Outside!