[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
next!: oregon school-shooting : Take it Outside! • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

next!: oregon school-shooting

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
updog
General of the Army

Re: next!: oregon school-shooting

Postby updog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:27 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:43 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:22 am

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Nah, most very wealthy in the world these days are self-made. The legacy billionaires are the minority. I'll see your Gates and Buffet and raise ya Koch brothers, Trump, and Forbes. :)

Trickle down, trickle up. Economics 101 doesn't even begin to address the complexity of it.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:26 am

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:30 am

Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:33 am

I don't understand the hatred for the rich. Rich people are the reason the rest of us have jobs. If we took every bit of profit that 1% makes and gave it to the government for their "programs", we'd still have drug addicts, still have homelessness, still have angry men shooting at people for no good reason. Money won't solve the mess we're in. We need a major attitude adjustment in this country, and we need it soon.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:20 am

It's a big leap from disputing the claim that people who work minimum wage jobs or lack employment or a living wage do so out of laziness to hating the rich.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:16 am

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14 am

Big thanks to James and updog for their thoughts, clarifications, and additions to my earlier comments.

Mooky, I do not feel as if and did not state that the minimum wage workers are necessarily at fault. I was commenting on an overall state we're in, where accountability apparently no longer exists. There are a subset of minimum wage workers who keep threatening to strike if they don't immediately get raises up to $15/hour, which is just assinine. Many of these rest their arguments on length of employment and their family situations, as in, "I have thirteen kids to feed so they should pay me more money." That's just dumb. It's unskilled labor, that anybody legally old enough to work with no education and no work experience can do, and it's simply not worth that much money. If people are looking to build careers, they need to leave the fast food industry and go somewhere else. I worked my first IT job making $7/hour, advanced as much as I could there and started looking for other employment, all the while studying, getting certifications, and graduating from Tulane University with an IT degree. The people who still work there are making primarily in the $10-$13/hour range.

The teens spitting out babies are an issue because most of them are not ready to, are not equipped to, and do not want to take care of said babies. They just want to have sex. And we all encourage them to do it, and when people suggest they should abstain from sex until they're actually ready to deal with the consequences of sex, those people are branded with unflattering names. Those unwanted/unplanned babies then grow up in fatherless environments with mothers who either don't care or don't know how to do their jobs right, those babies grow up to enroll in welfare and for the rest of their lives I pay for their groceries, their housing, their cell phones, their internet, and God only knows what else out of my paycheck. The statistics are through the roof on how much more likely these fatherless children are to be the drug addicts, to the be the criminals, to be the murderers, etc., etc., etc.

But do I BLAME them? Only so far as they are try to make other people pay the penalty for their poor personal choices.

I never said fast food workers are lazy. Go find my earlier post and see if you can pinpoint one place where I even insinuated that. I do believe it is an unskilled labor job that a trained monkey can do, and not worth the wages that some people seem to think they should get. That's not to belittle those workers, nor am I calling them monkeys. It's just a simple fact that anyone can walk in off the street and do that job.

I brought these two examples up because in my opinion it all ties together. It's like a disease festering inside your body that causes all these different sores to appear on your skin. The sores may take different shapes, sizes, and colors, but the underlying disease is the common denominator. We keep trying to bandage the sores by re-allocating wealth, granting entitlements, blaming the rich for our "plight," etc., etc., etc. The DISEASE that needs to be addressed is this ultra-politicized, no accountability, deflection of blame, handout mentality society we have.

I mean, it's just a vicious cycle.. Who's the one who said that democracy can only last until the people figure out that they can vote for themselves large sums of money from the treasury? The whole thing is circular. The government keeps taking more and more from the productive, working citizens to give to the less productive, or non-productive ones, creating a class that is completely dependent on the government. Then, because they are completely dependent, they keep voting for those people who will keep the handouts coming, keeping the sugar daddies in power, who, in turn, reward their "wealth slaves" by giving them more handouts. Entitlements are draining this country, and when you look at the numbers, it's astounding how these programs have grown exponentially larger since their original inception under the New Deal (at least, I think it was the New Deal.) Entitlement programs keep taking up more and more and more of government spending, and it's only getting worse.

Now for the whole hatred against the 1% garbage. That's all it is. Garbage. Propoganda. Business owners and entrepreneurs, many of whom are the wealthiest people, propel our economy. Business creates jobs. It's as simple as that. Some people rise to the top and get rich, but punishing these people for their success, really?

Here's what I think of all the people that bash the 1% - THEY'RE BLAMING THE WRONG PEOPLE

The statistic goes something like if you live in a house with running water, with an indoor bathroom, and an actual floor to your dwelling (as opposed to just mud beneath your feet) then you're living better than 90% of the world's population. The poorest American lives so much better than just about anybody else in the world. If we're going to focus on "the wealthy" then let's be honest. If you extend your little scope to include the entire world, then just about anybody in America in the middle class or above IS the 1%, worldwide. WE ARE ALL THE 1% (in America, anyway, more or less). We have everything we need, most of the things we want, and a lot of crap we neither need nor want, while people literally starve to death, every day, and we still complain that the richest people in this nation aren't doing enough for us. REALLY?

It all fits together. It's all part of a larger issue. We're pampered, spoiled, over-indulged, and pompous. We trade in our iPhone 4s for the iPhone 5 the first chance we get. We waste enough money in a day to feed entire villages for months. And then we look at the moguls and the Hollywood socialites and wonder how they an be so callous with their wealth. Ha. Good one.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!