[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
next!: oregon school-shooting : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

next!: oregon school-shooting

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: next!: oregon school-shooting

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:41 pm

If not now, when? If not here, where?

But so be it.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:46 pm

The very largest majority of Canadians do not own guns. They have to be licensed and few people except police, security guards, hunters and farmers have them (excluding criminals, who don't obey the law anyway). Recently, we've had a spate of unexplainable homicides by young adults with no previous history of irrational or anti-social behaviour (one guy killed five young people at an after-grad party, to which he had been invited). The one thing they seem to have in common is that they are/were gun-crazy (some are now deceased) and had stockpiled a huge amount of weapons and ammunition. I read a statistic recently that said In 2011, 158 Canadians were killed by guns; in the U.S. the number was shocking, something like 11,700. I know the population is much bigger, but not that much bigger.

So I think both Maia and James are right: Maia about the U.S. gun culture and James when he said, "Here, we've sown the wind of immorality, of anything goes if it feels good, that right and wrong are simply abstract ideas, that fatherless homes are just fine, and now we're reaping the whirlwind of our choices." But the morality thing is not it's not only in the U.S., it's everywhere.
[imge=3509-3]

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:01 pm

i agree... it's a human species issue, not just a national one...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

bjamison71
Private E-2

Postby bjamison71 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:46 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:57 am

thanks for the kind words, bj... i'm glad to know it did what i'd intended for it to do... hugs, m

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:42 pm

I saw a tweet from Stephen King the other day where he was ranting against guns, and how guns are the problem, and how guns should be taken away, blah blah blah, and I lost a little respect for him. This is a man who has made a career writing about terrible, horrible violent things happening to people I know that fiction and real-life are (usually) two different things, but I think Mr. King should understand the human nature pretty good by now.

The school shootings are sickening. I hate it. I wish it would go away. But it's not, is it? And I think James hit the nail on the head. We live in an age where consequences are now considered politically incorrect. Accountability is a thing of the past. If you dare suggest that someone be held accountable, you're the hateful one.

Fast food workers want to make $15/hour. And they keep threatening strikes if they don't get it. Ummm, what part of that job is worth that much money? "But I have kids and I've been here 20 years, WHINE WHINE WHINE!!" Then go find a better job. That's what people do when they need to earn more cash. McDonald's isn't there to support families, it's there to help give teenagers spending money while they finish high school.

Monica Lewinsky's running her mouth because she's still stigmatized and cannot find a job. Hey, Monica... didn't your mouth already get you in enough trouble? Might want to close it now.

Underage girls keep spitting out babies at alarming rates, and most people would rather blame schools and pharmacies for not making condoms more accessible? Really? How about identifying the biological purpose of sex and encouraging abstinence if you're not ready to have kids? But nope.... we don't call it abstinence anymore, we call it "repression" because that sounds worse. Because deep down, most people like it that girls are so promiscuous now, because HEY!! that benefits the rest of us, right? And then we say things like "just be true to yourself" - which is really just a polished, more noble-sounding way of saying "give in to your urges and to hell with the consequences!!"

The stats on broken homes are out there, and how children who grow up without a father are so much more likely to do drugs, go to prison, etc. This society is so messed up, and in an age when we're supposed to be so enlightened, so smart, so much more educated, I'm frankly amazed that there isn't more of an outcry to bring back a more conservative, family-values-oriented society where people get ahead or get behind based on merit and where parents pass down basic morality to their children and HELP them grow up into mature, productive, citizens.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:25 am

Well, I suppose Stephen King is entitled to his opinion.

Personally, I don't see the need for collecting assault rifles, but then I suppose many wouldn't see the need in my collecting wine corks or cars - both of which represent the causes of more deaths annually, than guns.

The reasons behind our societal dysfunction are myriad, but probably boil down to personal health and responsibility, which need to be fixed at the family nucleus.

Regardless of the mess, in the words of a Wise man I saw in a movie a few years back: "There's still some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:49 am

Gesler, I agree with everything you said up there.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:23 pm

We don't adequately educate our populace, use prisons as a substitute for addiction treatment to the point we rival and sometimes outpace the worst totalitarian governments in history with regard to the numbers we hold in prisons, use a tax structure that concentrates wealth in one percent of the population based entirely on interest compounding and not any contribution to society, and haven't had adequate resources for the majority of mentally ill people in this country for thirty some years...

But, yea, it's those McDonald's workers who can't make a living wage and teenage girls who just keep spitt'n out babies' fault. :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!