[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
HELLO AGAIN! : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

HELLO AGAIN!

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Deb E
Lieutenant Colonel

HELLO AGAIN!

Postby Deb E » Sat May 10, 2014 8:34 am

It has been so long, and I apologize. The last time I wrote in this forum, was when my book, TWENTY MILES NORTH OF LVOV, had just been published. After getting a less-than-favorable review from someone I had thought was my friend here, I went straight back to the publishers. We had two new editors sort through all the problems, add their input, and basically helped me rewrite the story. Then the publisher decided they no longer liked my book cover or my title, so the revised book was redesigned and renamed MOSHE'S WAR!

Since then, I've gotten two new books published. BOUNDARY WATERS and SECRETS OF ODESSA. I'm thrilled. Now, I'm finishing the draft of my next novel, a humorous story of a woman who is about to become an empty-nester. She must learn to discover herself while she investigates a neighborhood mystery.

Since my last entry at WD, I've also seen 2 sons marry, 2 daughters get engaged, found myself with 3 new grandbabies and 1 on the way. That will make 11. I joined a gym, discovered I had a severe vitamin deficiency which is now much better, lost 26lbs. I found a new job, went back to my old job, moved into a new house, and have been marketing my books non-stop. I discovered writing the book is the easiest part. Trying to get them sold is the killer.

So, how've ya been?
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: HELLO AGAIN!

Postby Oldtimer » Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 am

I'm sorry my review hurt your feelings, Deb, but I thought it best to be honest. There were a lot of things (mostly bad grammar) that you could have put right before your book was published. It is a back-handed compliment to me that you went back to your editors who corrected the problems. I hoped at the time (and still do) that your novel sells many copies. Although you might not think so, I am still your friend.

Good luck with the other books, too.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat May 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Hope you sell lots of books, Deb. I have no doubt that promoting a book is a lot harder than writing one. It scares me just thinking about it. As for the other thing, I do think a true friend tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. It's not easy to be honest when you know it will hurt someone's feelings, but who is the better friend? The one who tells you a hard truth, or the one who lies to you? The ones I'd be cautious of are the people who encouraged you to put out a book before it was ready. I have a feeling you know this already, since you admit you went straight back to the publisher when you did get the "less than favorable review". :)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sun May 11, 2014 9:31 am

Deb E
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Deb E » Mon May 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Oh, I'm all for constructive criticism. If it had been given to me privately instead of in a review for the world to see, it would've been easier to deal with. It's over now. Live and learn.
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon May 12, 2014 6:22 pm

I guess, in the future, if you don't want public reviews, don't post publicly?
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue May 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Deb E
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Deb E » Wed May 14, 2014 7:41 am

Shadowalker, you make very good sense, and you're absolutely right. I must develop a thicker skin and accept the fact that I am less than perfect. I'm a person that is growing daily, but with much more room to grow and improve. I apologize.
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

Return to Take it Outside!