[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
It's tax day : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

It's tax day

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: It's tax day

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:53 pm

No more tax refunds for me. I'm on Social Security so don't earn enough to file tax returns. In June of last year I claimed a small pension from a previous employer in England. To do that I had to prove I was legally resident in the US (heck! I'm a citizen now) and was in compliance with the Double Taxation Relief system. I thought all I had to do was to visit a walk-in office of the IRS and have the necessary section of the form certified.

Hah! It took me forever to find the right walk-in office. Then the IRS needed my previous year's tax return. I hadn't filed one. It cost me $85, many phone calls and, finally, four hours of waiting in a tiny office while an overworked official found the right forms for me to complete. (You might know it wasn't a simple rubber-stamp operation.) But he was a honey, that official. When he learned that, on the strength of this unexpected little windfall, I had booked a holiday in England, he took it upon himself to make copies of my completed forms and faxed them to the English Inland Revenue. The less than $1000 was paid into my English bank in the first week of September, two weeks into my holiday, and that paid my fare to visit my brother in Ireland.

Just when I thought I'd become truly American, along comes something like this to prove that - no matter how long I live here - I'll always be a foreigner.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

rosebud
Major

Re: It's tax day

Postby rosebud » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!