[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What would you have told her? : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What would you have told her?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Oldtimer
Colonel

What would you have told her?

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:22 pm

We have a little girl staying with us for a few days. She's five. Bright and bubbly and always giggling. Then last night, out of the blue, she asked, "When you die, where do your thoughts go?"

Who'd have thought a happy five-year-old would ask such a question?

It stumped me. How would you have answered?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: What would you have told her?

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Your thoughts go out into the world, for someone else to find.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:35 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:11 am

I agree, great answer Shadow.

I would have said, "You get to keep all your lovely thoughts in heaven, and all the scary ones, like when you've been frightened, are washed away in the great big beautiful sea of forgetfulness."

What did you say Dorothy? :mrgreen:

AibreanShowers
Corporal

Postby AibreanShowers » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:01 am

Maybe that angels keep all of your good thoughts tucked under their wings and hand them out one by one to hurt or sick children when they need it most :)

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:15 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:19 pm

i like the passing them on to others answer best...

you should avoid anything that mentions heaven or angels and such, unless you're 100% sure her parents are raising her with those beliefs...

in fact, to be on the safe side, it would be best to say you don't know and suggest she ask her mommy or daddy...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:27 pm

x2 what maia said.

Last thing you want to do is talk about heaven and God and angels and then find out the parents believe in reincarnation or whatever.

There's seldom a question from a kid that can't be diffused by asking your own. "Where do you think they go? That's really interesting..."

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:48 am

If a girl is staying with you, do you know the parents well? This does make a difference.

But the only two replies that I think are legitimate is to say, "Ask your parent", or to say, "well, I believe. . ."

Kids aren't stupid, and there's nothing wrong with telling them what you believe, as long as you don't tell them their parents, or guardian, or whoever, is wrong.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 am

A bright five-year-old...

I'd definitely kick that one back to the parents. Religion, including atheism, is a hot-button issue.

Unless you know what they believe (I might even say you have to believe it, too), this is a point that isn't worth the heartache of inadvertently contradicting them.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!