[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Lego Movie : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Lego Movie

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Re: The Lego Movie

Postby gesler0811 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 am

I'm with updog. I assume you meant people in general, and not this thread specifically. Because I'm not "up in arms" and I'm not calling for any particular action. I rather enjoyed the movie. (I laughed at pretty much EVERY one of Batman's lines) But the analytical reader in me thought he detected an allegorical meaning behind much of the movie, and I started this thread to see if anybody else had similar thoughts while watching it.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:53 am

After you posted this I was interested to see what people had to say about it. Just curious to see if there was any talk in line with what you were thinking-mainly because I could kind of see it after you brought it up. It made me laugh when one reviewer thought it was about communism and some other reviewers said it was against big businesses. All that just made me roll my eyes. One Christian reviewer really liked it but didn't touch on that topic like I thought they might.

I'm just posting what I saw out of curiousity but I'm not trying to be negative because like you, I enjoyed it. Loved the Star Wars references too. Batman was hilarious. I hate the song so much though. I guess that was the point. :?

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:39 pm

But don't you think that EVERYTHING IS AWESOME?!?

I could kind of see maybe the bit about big business, if someone wanted to go there, but not communism. I'm not sure where that one comes from.

Again, for me I thought the constant references to "The Man Upstairs" who kept trying to control how everyone did things, was what made it more overt. But apparently they put enough references to enough different things in there that people are all over the place regarding whether or not there were any particular social/economic/political/religious undertones, or if it was just a movie about a kid who wanted to play with some Legos!!

Besides, Batman only works in black. And sometimes very, very, very dark gray.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 pm

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:18 am

Finally saw it, thought it was a hoot. If I'm reading your initial post correctly, it sounds as though some people might take offense if they consider the elements of "the man upstairs" and "cloud cukoo-land" to be references to their religion, and go on to conclude that the movie represents an attack against their religion. Kinda sad in an obsessive, self-involved sort of way.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 pm

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am

Not you, the people who would be offended by something like that. I think the references to big business & mass media manipulations of people (witness recent outcry over facebook emotion experiments,not to mention little catch-phrases from tv shows and ads taking over everyone's workplace...) are more to the point than anyone's religion being humourously criticized. Didn't the man upstairs turn out to be Dad? Who's not actually the same thing as God?

Charles_Habakkuk
Private E-1

Postby Charles_Habakkuk » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Benny the spaceman was a revelation.
Writing about faith and mental illness in southern Indiana.

http://charleshabakkuk.wordpress.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!